- Entertainment and Media»
The Decline of British Humor
From the nation that gave us Monty Python, Morecambe and Wise, and Benny Hill, it is easy to think that the British would never lose their sense of humor. Alas, now many have.
Now in the wake of political correctness, advertisers are backing down to minority pressure groups who find some advertisements, unsavory.
Can you imagine if Monty Python were to try and get on the air today. People would shriek in horror, not laughter.
When did this happen? The Monty Python video I have below is quite tame by Monty Python standards but it shows just how far television has dampened down in recent years to become something as daring as a glass of milk.
If you feel this is too subdued for your liking, you can watch John Cleese teaching a class in 'Sex Education' on YouTube. This is funny and I for one, find the shackles that have been placed on British comedies and comedians very sad indeed.
Ikea Garden Gnome Advert
To the right is an advertisement from IKEA which was aired on British TV. The following day there were cries from some of the population of the ad being frightening and offensive. Who are these people?
Maybe they should be called SPROGG: Society for Protection of Garden Gnomes
The commercial received 50 complaints saying that it encouraged anti-social behavior. Well so does football but you don't see them banning that now, do you?
Take a look for yourself and see if you feel this has overstepped the mark of good taste.
What are your reactions to the above IKEA ad?
The Marmite Ad
A recent Marmite ad is yet another example of a minority of people complaining.
The complaints were from animal rights activists who felt it belittled their cause.
There were over 500 complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Unilever who owns Marmite, donated £18,000 pounds to the Royal Society Protection of Cruelty to Animals. (RSPCA)
I had included a video but this too has been pulled.
It is worth noting that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) saw no problem with it, as they realized it was tongue in cheek. In fact PETA thought it highlighted how difficult some of their work is.
Funny Ebay Ads
Just when I thought that the British sense of humor was on the verge of being smothered by those do-gooders, my daughter posted something on Facebook. It was an ad for this Ford Fiesta Zetec S.
This ad was on Ebay.
With permission from the owner of the car Jezza21, I now can show you that British humor is well and truly intact. I have made a few changes, as I thought some words might not pass through this website's filters.
I am selling this Ford Fiesta Zetec S of mine because I have grown up. I feel it's time for me to pass on this special car to another young lad on the road to manhood. You can't become a man until you've owned a proper lads car. So if you don't buy this car you'll always be spotty, your voice will never break properly and you will never beat your addiction to self gratification.
I'm not selling this car to help myself, I'm selling this car to save teenagers across the world from themselves. So if you're a teenager looking at making the next big step in your life, this is the car for you. If you are a parent and looking for a car on behalf of your son, this is the car for you. If you are 35 years old, still living at home and have never been touched intimately by a woman then this car is NOT for you.
Jesus may have walked on water but after buying this car you will be able to swim on land. You'll be able to squeeze orange juice from bananas and you WILL be able to touch MC Hammer.
Why? Because that's what real men do.
An honest review of the cars less positive results.
- This Ford Fiesta Zetec S is 13 years young and has bounced across 103,000 miles of road to the beat of many a black rap track. Consequently during spirited driving it has a tendency to drop a gear like it's hot and the clutch will slip. (Your first test of manliness will be fixing this).
- Another point worth noting is the obvious damage to the wing mirror, currently held in place by some carefully doctored duck tape and a bit of string. (Your second test of manliness will be venturing alone into the realms of Halfords to buy a new one).
- There's a shallow dent at the rear that some may say looks to be the mark of an unseen tree.
- The passenger door shouts in pain when you open it.
- The sheer speed of this thing has torn paint away from the wheel arches revealing some rust.
- It's filthy dirty inside and out. Cleanliness is for batty boys.
- Comes with 4 round wheels and some petrol.
- The handbrake works very well in sharp corners.
- When you twist the light switch, the lights do come on.
- After reconnecting the battery, the hazard lights flash for the next two miles to remind you of how great your mechanical skills are.
- Driving this car will increase the quality of your sex life, significantly.
- In 12 months time you will have a beard, big muscles and be super fit for a girlfriend because of this car
- The aftermarket speaker system is perfect for enhancing your hard-man image at low speeds in built up areas
- The MOT is due soon
I imagine your testicles are already swollen enough at the thought of finally becoming a man, so I’ll finish my advert simply. You are an idiot if you’re in your late teens and don’t buy this car.
You can call my mobile to arrange a viewing. I work manly hours during the week so you’ll probably have to text me or leave a voicemail and I will get back to you later in the evening providing I’m not enjoying the company of some hot young babes.
Welcome to manhood and thanks for bidding,
Shameless self promotion
- Aggressive Personality Linked To Testicle Size
Can aggressive and possibly dangerous personality disorders be discovered and treated early? Recent studies have shown a link between testicular size and aggression.