jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

LeBron James hurt his own legacy, do you agree?

1. dashingclaire profile image70
    dashingclaireposted 7 years ago

LeBron James hurt his own legacy, do you agree?

James goes to the Miami Heat, Cleveland goes into a basketball Hades and LeBron’s legacy becomes that of a callous carpetbagger according to Adrian Wojnarowski, reporter. “He’s destroyed everything.” His hometown won’t hate him as much for leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers as for the way he left them. Did he go out of his way to humiliate them?

2. profile image0
    Richard Stephenposted 7 years ago

I'm not a Cleveland fan nor a Lebron fan, in particular.  I do respect his athletic abilities but he has really played into the whole "King James" thing and made this situation worse than it needed to be.

I understand that basketball is a business and the Lebron needed to do whatever he felt was best for his family and himself.  However, I think the way he announced his decision with an hour-long ESPN special was probably about the worst way to do it.  If I were a Cleveland fan that would have offended me quite a bit. 

Cleveland fans were going to be upset either way but, in my opinion, it would have been better and classier for Lebron to have simply made a quite announcement and then moved on.  Making a spectacle of it all just rubbed Cleveland's nose in it.

3. dashingclaire profile image70
    dashingclaireposted 7 years ago

Thanks for answering the question. It seems not many people from either city are too interested. Thanks again for taking the time to answer the question.

4. ExpandYourMind profile image73
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

Franchises trade players frequently and sometimes without considering if the player wants the trade.  It's just part of the business.  So, I don't fault Lebron for moving to Miami while he still has the skills to warrant the attention.
    However, I agree the whole "announcement show" was ill conceived.  Was it his idea or ESPN.  Sound like he could use a wise mentor (or good PR firm or agent). The way the decision was announced was certain to cause a lot of hurt feelings and anger. It's unfortunate.