jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best movie for accurately representing the Vietnam war?

1. innersmiff profile image73
    innersmiffposted 6 years ago

What is the best movie for accurately representing the Vietnam war?

Vets - what was best for showing what it was like for the soldier?
    Family members of vets - what was it like from the partners, parents and children's perspectives?

2. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 6 years ago

I am not a Vet but I am the son of a living Vietnam Vet. I am not sure how my father would answer this but in my opinion, "Full Medal Jacket" touches my heart. It starts off rather comedic with the constant bullying of "Gomer Pyle" (that was his nick-name in the movie, don't remember his character's name but played by Vincent D'Onofrio). The movie abruptly turns into fast-paced action immediately following boot-camp, and the "boys" are hardly prepared for the reality of war. I give it 5 stars and am interested to see follow-up answers. Great Question!

JSMatthew~

3. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I don't think there's any way to actually qualify this since every experience was different.  I know that my father's experiences in the war haven't been represented by any of the movies I've seen (he refuses to watch any).  Plus we have to remember that hundreds of thousands of service personnel never saw combat and served in support roles.

4. Capgunsonline profile image58
    Capgunsonlineposted 6 years ago

Forrest Gump and Platoon? Not really sure but you need to watch them to find out.

5. thejeffriestube profile image75
    thejeffriestubeposted 6 years ago

I know you said Vietnam, but for WWII, the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" is powerful and really tears up most of the veterans I talk to. They say it's spot on.

6. SilentReed profile image83
    SilentReedposted 6 years ago

"The Killing Fields" although it was about the genocide in Cambodia. It accurately represented the resulting miseries that people suffered because of American involvement in Vietnam and it's decision to escalate the war into the surrounding countries

7. innersmiff profile image73
    innersmiffposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the answers. Keep 'em comin' folks!

Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are movies that I've heard are particularly accurate, but I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth. I haven't seen The Killing Fields yet, so I'll get right on that. Seicheprey has a good point though.

working