jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can musicians find others to "jam" with when they are not professionals?

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

How can musicians find others to "jam" with when they are not professionals?

2. profile image0
    Fiddlemanposted 6 years ago

Here in Western North Carolina informal jamming is rather common and there are plenty of musicians who enjoy sitting round in living rooms drinking coffee and picking for hours on end. My son and I started a jam on Saturday mornings at a local barber shop and although not every week we have others who have heard by word of mouth to come and jam with us. A few months ago we even had a fellow from Columbus, Ohio who was vacationing here to stop in to jam after hearing about it at the motel he was staying. Music is fun and there are lots of amateur musicians just waiting for an opportunity to jam with others. In some cases they genre of music will dictate those who will come to join the group. We play bluegrass but on Thursday a group plays who enjoy the old standard CW. the group of mostly retired men were even featured on 60 minutes a few years ago. Check out this link if you wish: http://www.bing.com/url?source=search&a … ef56502eb8

My advice is to get the word out and it won't be long before like minded musicians will be knocking on your door.

3. John J Gulley profile image75
    John J Gulleyposted 6 years ago

You certainly don't have to be a professional musician to use Skype or Facebook. There are thousands of people all over the internet that look for fellow musicians to network with and we have never heard their names.

4. profile image55
    akollipaposted 6 years ago

It's nothing to do with being professional at all. There are a lot of musicians who are essentially good enough to be in recording studios, but just don't get the break. Anyway, any two or more musicians who have the time and want to jam will do it.

Sometimes, it really doesn't matter if you're professional quality or not (the willingness just counts).

working