jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How can I improve my finger dexterity when playing the guitar?

1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

How can I improve my finger dexterity when playing the guitar?

pPlaying the guitar can be very demanding for both left and right hand.  how can I improve my dexterity so I won't get tired easily?

2. dmop profile image78
    dmopposted 6 years ago

To begin, practice practice practice. There are some good exercisers that you can purchase, but there is no substitute for just playing often and for extended periods of time. I use scales often, for exercise, but any playing should do.

3. Nick B profile image82
    Nick Bposted 6 years ago

Practice and keeping your hands warm in cold conditions.

Practice is the only thing that can get you to relax when trying to spread your fingers to play the chords, hammer down and basically remember where to put your fingers and when. As for the picking and strumming hand, the same thing applies.

You cannot go from a couch potato to an Olympic athlete overnight, you need to practice, to tone the muscles, develop stamina and be able to do what you need to do almost without thinking. The same goes for playing the guitar or any other instrument.

Although playing the guitar does need you to toughen your fingertips - which on its own takes time, you also need to develop the motor skills to develop the fluidity and range of skills necessary to produce the range of notes and harmonics that only come with practice.

4. Hunbbel Meer profile image87
    Hunbbel Meerposted 6 years ago

It is obvious that practice makes a man perfect. Keep practising, and along with the passage of time, it will all come to you.

To be precise, there are some exercises that can be done everyday (5-10 mins for each exercise are sufficient). Try to search on Google about these different exercises. These exercises usually come under the 'Technical Exercises' tab.

Hammer on, pull off, vibrato, scales, Suspended chords are also good ways to go along with. Best of luck smile

5. Electro-Denizen profile image82
    Electro-Denizenposted 6 years ago

Arpeggios, over and over and over and over and over.... to get that finger extension and accuracy and build up the muscle. If possible, play on a hard-to-play guitar to get your fingers (and callouses!) nice and strong. Stay away from thin strings at all costs! Have fun!

6. nwsinglespeed profile image87
    nwsinglespeedposted 6 years ago

Many guitarists tend to shy away from those scales and practices that are hard to do, or don't make sense. Working through them and keeping at them until they become fluid are important. My 14 year old laughed when I showed him the video of Yngwie Malmsteen a) because he looked hilarious with his big hair rocker look, but then b) because he could NOT believe his dexterity and speed when playing. He asked how he got there and I said "endless amounts of practicing all those things over and over."

7. larryriegle profile image59
    larryriegleposted 6 years ago

wear rubber gloves while practicing for 2 weeks and then take them off.
    then apply coconut lotion and you'll be amazed at your dexterity

8. coast2coast79 profile image59
    coast2coast79posted 6 years ago

Practice practice practice. Run through scales over and over. Its not fun, but after a few days of practice you will see a considerable improvement, Also practice chord progressions that you find more difficult and least enjoyable to play, perhaps painfuly cramping to your hand and difficult to get the finger placement quickly. After a few weeks your whole hand will be stronger and flexible. I also shake out my hands and stretch my fingers before I practice and occasionally while practicing. A good knuckle cracking helps me a little, although I wouldn't call that professional advice because Im not sure if its good or bad for your joint health.