jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

What does Honey Boo Boo mean for American culture?

1. Elizabeth Below profile image66
    Elizabeth Belowposted 5 years ago

What does Honey Boo Boo mean for American culture?

First it was her Go-Go Juice on "Toddlers & Tiaras" and now we're getting to know the entire Thompson family via "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" -- like a trainwreck we can't turn away. Does the show's popularity reflect changing American cultures?

2. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

It's just one show.  I think there are a lot pointless shows on t.v. but they entertain somebody and that's what's important I suppose.  Not everything makes sense and there is a lot worse out there that I'd be worried about.  I don't think it influences anybody to want to be like their family and it just reflects a super small population.
    I think that go-go juice stuff is crazy. I was shocked when I saw that.  I can't wait to see what the future holds for television after this and some other shows i've seen in recent years haha.

Elizabeth Belowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! You're right -- it's just one show. But I think it's interesting how TLC (among other channels) has tried to differentiate their reality shows by "allowing" us into a variety of Americans' lives.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

It makes American's aware that these families do exist. Living in Texas, I've seen a few myself but they normally stay away from the cities. Mothers with each child from a different father, bathroom humor used every 5 to 10 minutes, etc. Honestly, this is a little regular for me to see each year...

Thanks for your response. I'm interested -- do you think there was a *need* for Americans to become aware of these "types" of families? Does this awareness enhance our culture?

2. lburmaster profile image82
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't believe it enhances our culture, just makes them aware.

4. LilaDaley profile image61
    LilaDaleyposted 5 years ago

American culture is awful. These people make Americans look pathetic on the outside BUT the one good thing about this family is that they love each other. There isn't much love in any other reality shows.

I lived in the US until I was 28 and moved to Canada. Most Americans aren't as seemingly uneducated and unable to articulate like this family.

5. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 5 years ago

Bread and circuses. Most notably, it demonstrates that Americans value those who make a living by using their bodies / appearance. Contrarily, there is almost no appreciation for intellectuals. It saddens me to live in a society wherein citizens can name a half-dozen super models but not one of their children's teachers.

Thank you. I agree that these shows provide insight into our culture's value on successfully monetizing bodies/appearance. I wonder, though, if viewers are subsequently appreciating their own intellect while judging this family's.

6. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

I find it disturbing and exploitative. It's called "entertainment" but it's at the expense of a family's dignity. We are not laughing with them, we are laughing AT them and shaking our heads. I wrote a hub about this whole shift in how women and girls are being portrayed on television and how we have lost sight of acceptable images to which we should be exposing our girls. I agree, however, with LilaDaley that the only saving grace is that they do love each other. I've witnessed the same with the Kardashian clan and have to respect that about them. The love in the Kardashian family actually caused me to like them and occasionally watch the show.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't believe everything you see on TV. Take a look at the people and the world around you. You don't see many of those eccentric lunatics. They managed to get on TV for a reason; and it is not because they are typical Americans.

8. TerryK81 profile image61
    TerryK81posted 5 years ago

It's a terrible thing, this "mockumentary" of declining human culture.

9. Alberic O profile image74
    Alberic Oposted 5 years ago

It's sort of showing the world how much things have gone down hill. I personally heard of Honey Boo Boo through watching South Park. That episode hit the nail on the head when it poke fun of standards dropping and dignity/pride.

working