jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is Dreamworks gaining ground on Pixar?

1. EJ Lambert profile image75
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

Is Dreamworks gaining ground on Pixar?

With How to Train Your Dragon and Despicable Me keying a surge by Dreamworks, have they entered the same league on Disney powerhouse, Pixar?

2. tomy101 profile image70
    tomy101posted 4 years ago

Since I got your question , I feel the need to express myself. Who cares? Unless your involved monetarily in stocks and bonds, or just curious, I find this question redundant and non-related to anything. Maybe your a movie executive that wants opinions, yet a simple search will find your true answer to this unusual question. Good luck.

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well, I would say you certainly need a hug, Tomy.  Good luck to you.

3. Chris Qu profile image93
    Chris Quposted 4 years ago

I'm going to say no.

First of all, Despicable Me wasn't actually made by Dreamworks. It holds the interesting distinction of being the highest grossing animation in the U.S. and Canada by a studio other than Dreamworks or Pixar.

Aside from that, since I didn't really care for Despicable Me anyway: How to Train Your Dragon was an amazing movie, and it was definitely as good as anything Pixar has done. In my opinion, so was the first Kung Fu Panda. But Pixar's reputation doesn't come from the quality of one or two great movies -- it comes from their consistency. They make great movie after great movie with only the very infrequent stumble.

Dreamworks doesn't do that. Dreamworks goes for quantity over quality. I mean, they have *eighteen* movies in production right now. Some of them are probably going to be really good, but some of them are going to be bad. That's how Dreamworks does it. They are the shotgun to Pixar's sniper rifle.

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Terrific analogy, Chris, and very poignant.  Pixar is fairly consistent though they've had a couple iffy ones too (Brave).  Dreamworks isn't up to that level yet, but would you admit they've made strides from where they were?

working