jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Mobsters caught after 30 years!! Should they be incarcerated considering their a

1. pctechgo profile image75
    pctechgoposted 4 years ago

Mobsters caught after 30 years!! Should they be incarcerated considering their age?

Aged, old alleged mafia mobsters in their very late 70's and in their 80's caught in NY after 30 years!! If found guilty, how should they be punished/incarcerated? Be put in with the general prison population? House arrest? Possessions confiscated? 
    The largest heist in US history, 5 to 6 million in cash and jewelry - it was the famous Lufthansa heist (JFK Airport, Brooklyn) depicted in the movie Goodfellas.   

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8682836_f260.jpg

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Although I've seen Goodfellas, I'm not familiar with the facts surrounding the real event. But if there wasn't a murder involved I would be inclined to be lenient to seniors. On the other hand, if there was a killing, I think they should be punished with some years behind bars.

pctechgoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi bethperry,
      No one was killed or injured during the robbery itself. It was not 'till after that mobsters were killing other mobsters to either keep the money to themselves or to keep others who had knowledge of the crime from "talking".

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

There has to be some penalty. If the age makes jail time impractical, then house arrest, a prison term that is suspended, required to stay within the confines of the jurisdiction, i.e., city, state, freezing of assets, heavy fines, etc. If murder was involved, either directly or indirectly, some type of incarceration would be appropriate--even if it is a prison ward in a hospital.

pctechgoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is estimated that up to 15 people died as a result of this crime.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If murder was involved, then prison time is appropriate, realizing that as the person ages, he will probably be in the hospital ward of the hospital.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

You shouldn't catch a break from committing a crime simply because you were able to avoid being caught. Holocaust criminals who are caught are still punished regardless of their age.
    Our court system has been known to try pre-teens as adults! It's a slippery slope to give people a pass because of their age. The system would have to decide which crimes warrant such considerations (murder, rape, robbery, Ponzi schemes...etc)
    Bernie Madoff who is 75 years old just recently had a heart attack and has stage four kidney disease while serving just the 4th year of his 150 year sentence. No one is saying he should be set free or put on house arrest. He technically did not kill anyone when he defrauded his victims of $17 Billion. He just killed their dreams of having a comfortable future.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As a prisoner, the state, i.e., the people are paying for his health care. On probation or house arrest--and I do not mean a luxury apartment, he would be paying his own medical expenses. This was an unusual case and current rules may not be the best

5. pctechgo profile image75
    pctechgoposted 4 years ago

Although they now wear a closer resemblance of harmless grandfathers, during the era of the crime they were indeed very different.

working