Was actor John Wayne right to criticize fellow actor Gary Cooper for thowing a m

1. limpet profile image60
    limpetposted 3 years ago

Was actor John Wayne right to criticize fellow actor Gary Cooper for thowing a marshall's badge?

At the conclusion of High Noon whatever the ambiguities of the film and the political climate of the era in which filmed High Noon must rate one of the greats.

2. mothman633 profile image60
    mothman633posted 3 years ago

I don't think there is any right or wrong to this. Cooper and Wayne had two completely different points of views and this caused them to disagree. I personally side with Cooper but I'm a bigger fan of Wayne's so I think this is subjective and based on one's personal opinion on what that scene really means.

3. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I hadn't heard of this before, but I take your word for it as Wayne was known for saying some very harsh things, such as anti-Native American and anti-gay sentiments. He lived in an era when ultra-Right mindset and feelings were the trend in Hollywood (just the opposite of how it is today). I feel such a complaint about a film scene would stem from a reactionary and intolerant mind. But when you think about it, his Hollywood contemporaries do the very same thing today; it is just today's reactionary culture in Hollywood is ultra-Left minded. I have never been a fan of Wayne's -his acting talent was very limited- and I never approved of his other hateful remarks I had heard about.But to be completely fair to the man, I think he -and his views- were ultimately molded by the Hollywood culture of his time, just as say George Cloony is today.

working