10 is the new 5 this year.

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

In an effort to boost ratings, the academy award is nominating 10 movies for "Best Picture" this year, versus it's normal 5.  Personally, I think it's a mistake since part of the prestige of getting nominated is that it's relatively so hard to even get nominated; let alone win it.  Now with the nomination going up to ten, it basically means any movie that's halfway decent can probably get a nomination.  However, I thought, i'd open up this forum to get your thoughts on the matter at hand.

2. profile image0

personally, i think the academy is making a mistake by doing this.

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think the academy IS a mistake.  But then, I'm no big fan of the Nobel Peace Prize, either...at least not this year.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

neither am i.  i didn't even know they still had those still.

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

10? that is too many no one is going to want to sit through all 10 nominations.

1. profile image0

yeah, i thought the same thing too.  however, from  what i've been reading on yahoo, and entertainment weekly, it turns out the academy awards are losing ratings because not as many people are invested into the films that get nominated.  therefore, they think if more films are nominated, then there's a chance at least one of the movies will have people emotionally invested into it again.  at least that's their official excuse about it.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

phft! lame excuse...they just want more viewers but once they see that 10 is a bad number because everyone'll be changing the channel they'll put it back to 5..I hope

1. profile image0

yeah, i hope so too.  i just think it's sad on their parts.

1. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very sad...are they THAT bored? lmao

1. profile image0

lol.  i guess so.  according to the nielsen ratings, last year the academy had an all time low when it came viewers watching, so they're desparate right now. lol

4. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I think so too, but honestly I never agreed with their nominations in the first place so this would edge in movies that are more my style. They always end up picking some crazy drama I never saw then when I do i'm like" Really, this won an academy award or nomination ?"

1. profile image0

lol.  yeah, i think the academy needs to get a new panel of judges as it seems they're starting to lose touch with american audiences.  plus, i was reading last year how a lot of fans and critics were upset that "dark knight" wasn't nominated in best picture.  sadly, the academy awards dismissed because of its' source.  plus, why are they getting alec baldwin and steve martin as hosts this year.  don't get me wrong, i like both of them, but they're not as popular as they used to be, so why are they hosting?  this is why they need new blood in there.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Sounds foolish and degrading to other Actors and Actresses. smile

6. Garnet Greene profile image60
    Garnet Greeneposted 14 years ago

It's a shame that a show that is supposed to be about recognizing talent is manipulated to boost ratings. If they can't get big ratings then it shouldn't be on TV. It wasn't always on tv...

7. profile image0

yeah, everyone here makes some valid points.

1. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell me what the top five should be.

1. profile image0

that's a very good question.  if it were up to me i would nominate these five films alone.

1. Avatar
        2. Precious
        3. Inglourious Basterds
        4. The Hurt Locker
        5. The Messenger

those would be my nominations if i could pick them out myself.

1. Friendlyword profile image59
          Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your Right! Either Avatar or Precious. And I'm predicting THE BOOK OF ELI for next year!

1. profile image0

we'll have to wait and see.  it might have some competition with "Shutter Island" next year as we both know scorsese is a great director. 

as far as this year is concerned, i think precious should get the best picture nod though.  i think the story content is vastly deeper than a lot of the films i just mentioned.  however, i have a feeling due to the academy awards fears of lack of ratings, they're going to give it to avatar.  not saying it doesn't deserve it, but i have a feeling that since avatar is the most financially successful film of 2009, they're going to pick the choice that's more popular among the public.

2. profile image56
          JBunceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haven't seen either "Avatar" or "The Messenger" yet, but all of the other three are on my bestof the year list, Friendlyword. In fact, "Hurt Locker" is my number one.

And personally, I think that while there are always some movies that get shafted by the five-movie nomination, I still think they're going to have trouble coming up with a full ten Oscar worthy titles every year.

8. Friendlyword profile image59
    Friendlywordposted 14 years ago

Can I ask you; since you might keep up with such things, what the helll happened to John Travolta's hair?  That is just wrong!!!

1. profile image0

lol. i have no idea honestly. i think it might be a toupee since in his movie that's coming out this year, he plays a bald guy, so it wouldn't surprise me if he shaved his head and now wears a toupee.

9. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

You are forgetting one of the best films of the year.  The Blindside.  Hands down the best movie of the year.  Touching, funny, heart-warming, and awesome.  I haven't seen Avatar yet.  I haven't seen The Messengers either.

1. profile image0

yeah, your right "blindside" is a great movie. which is why i think sandra bullock should get the best actress nod this year for that role if it were up to me.  however, i think the only flaw with that movie was that it was too  reminiscent to a lot of other movies where a kid(s) would come from a troubled past.  only to redeem himself and his past through football like "gridiron gang" and other such films.

1. dave272727 profile image60
        dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unlike Gridiron Gang, Blindside was/is a true story.  Check out the Baltimore Ravens lineup for the last game.  Michael Oher is a starting player in the NFL.

1. profile image0

i know it's based off a real life story.  heck, i think i saw hbo do a behind the scenes thing for the film, so i know it's about michael oher's life as a teenager when he meets his foster mother.  however, so was gridiron gang. that film was also based on a real life story too.  just look it up on imdb.com

10. profile image0

although, if it were up to me, i think jay leno should host this  year's academy award since he had to move to a different time slot and give up his tonight show, to honor him.  just a thought.

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

lol

12. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Wow. 10 noms. That's baaaaaaaaad.

Maybe part of the reason is that so many independent films over the past few years are getting some pretty big kudos, and they're trying to be more inclusive. But honestly, it's not that I believe the Academy is all bad, but there is just so much ego stroking, and "aren't we all so beautiful and important, and aren't I just the bee's knees talking about all my favorite causes?" It's just too much. They take an awards platform and turn it to a personal agenda any chance they get, and I for one am tired of it.

5 noms is enough. There aren't enough truly great movies in a year to get past that number. And as popular as "Avatar" has been, I think it had an absolutely STUPID script and a lot of nonstellar performances but just a LOT of hype and great special effects. I hated that movie and was really looking forward to it. It could be nominated for best special effects, but surely nothing else. ICK.

1. profile image0

I don't disagree.  although I liked avatar, I think the script and dialogue could've been a bit better.  however, i thought it made up for it with a lot of strong themes and character development. however, i have a deep feeling that if the academy is so concerned about ratings, they might give that film the award for best picture in order to draw in ratings.  due to it's tremendous popularity right now.

13. jellydonut25 profile image60
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

Avatar winning Best Picture would just FURTHER invalidate the Academy to me...

I walked out of that movie thinking it was "pretty good" and I don't believe it's ANYTHING more than that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if I'd seen it in 2D on my TV I would have thought it SUCKED.

14. Windsweptplains profile image60
    Windsweptplainsposted 14 years ago

I don't like the idea of having 10 films nominated for best picture. I think it will dumb down the competition.

I also couldn't say what film should win this year. The Blind Side looks awesome and Avatar has great special effects, but I don't believe they are the best films of the year. Also it's usually a matter of personal opinion. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another. I have a tendency to disagree with the Academy's choices.

15. profile image0

just thought i"d bump up this topic since the academy awards is coming up soon

16. jellydonut25 profile image60
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

It's still a terrible idea...

the academy only did this because they caught a lot of flak for overlooking Dark Knight, Wall-E and The Wrestler last year, so they are just trying to appease people

the five films that are nominated without a Best Director nomination as well have ZERO chance of winning

they are just in there so nobody can complain that animated films like Up get no respect or that the Academy is too "stuffy" to ever give recognition to a film like District 9...

17. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think five is too little but 10 is too much.  Maybe they should've settled for 7.  I thought there was a bumper crop of good pictures.  But that doesn't happen every year.

18. profile image0

personally, i think it kind of dilludes the allure of the academy awards if anything.  as part of it's mystique was that even if the movie was good, it's hard enough just to get nominated.  let alone win it.  however, with 10 nominations instead of 5, it just makes it easy for any film that's halfway decent to get nominated.  seriously, it's a bad idea.  plus, i don't agree with a few of their picks to be honest.

19. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

7 is a good number, 10 takes away for me, like you said, it takes away part of the mystique.

I know which one I would love to win, but who knows. avatar will most likely sweep. Cameron is up against his ex with The Hurt Locker.

anything for more viewers?

20. profile image0

hmmm..i guess we'll have to see how this experiment works out.  lol.

21. cynical1 profile image60
    cynical1posted 14 years ago

just because they oouldnt make up their minds, doesnt mean the academy needs to change its history or orinigal concept. if it aint broke dont fix it, its worked for 60 plus years. but thats the nature of new hollywood these days, forget old hollywood and the glamour days when hollywood had class. i used to be such a fan of movies and the oscars, now its like bah humbug, the award doesnt mean anything anymore. way to go hollywood.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't say I don't disagree.  However, I guess it seems the Academy is going to do what it wants anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)