- Entertainment and Media»
- Performing Arts
Guitars for Kids
If you're looking for a guitar for a child then this Amigo AM15 Nylon string acoustic guitar is a great.
It is the perfect size for a young child and most importantly once the new strings have stretched and settled, they stay in tune.
This is not a toy guitar, but a real and reasonably priced one.
It has a solid spruce top, which is a big advantage because it resonates well and produces a real classical guitar sound. A solid top is very unusual in a child's guitar and so its tone is amazing. The back and sides are beech. It is made in Romania. It is a beautiful looking guitar. It has a mat finish.
Of course it cannot be compared to a finer guitar but for this price it is very, very good. It has the feel of a real guitar because that's exactly what it is. I have read many reviews and people agree that it's a perfect guitar for a small child.
If after stretching the strings sound dead they can easily be replaced but many people have found this unnecessary.
Its good sound will make your guitar teacher happy!
Did you play an instrument when you were young?
The Right Guitars for Kids
I am keen to help you to buy the right guitar for your child. So here are some tips:
- Do not spend a fortune on his/her first guitar. However do not be tempted to buy a toy because they will not play tuned notes and the overall sound will be awful! Remember that it is very easy to sell a small guitar once your child has grown out of it. I just put a notice in the school bulletin and sell them that way.
- If you are starting a very young child of around 5 years old, then you will need a very small guitar known as a half sized guitar. 7 upwards need 3/4 sized. But this obviously depends on the size of your child.
- You will need a nylon string guitar because steel strings will cut into your child's delicate skin! Remember that the strings will need to be tuned SEVERAL TIMES when they are new as they need to stretch.
My Son Play the Guitar in AssemblyClick thumbnail to view full-size
If your child will be taking lessons then your teacher will tell you which books to buy. There are plenty of guitar music books and courses for children and this one is very good if you are teaching your child yourself. I have used it and it's not just for very young children, kids as old as 11 can start with this series.
When my son was 5 years old he played his guitar in assembly in front of the whole school. I was sitting at the back with my heart POUNDING in my chest. If it goes wrong, then this will be the first and last time he ever does this, and what will everyone say!
The guitar teacher told everyone that he was going to play a very difficult piece for his age. That made me feel so much worse! But it went well and my brave boy took a bow and sat down. He turned and beamed at me and stuck up his little thumb - he was hooked!
It was a very difficult piece that lasted less than 1 minute. What the audience didn't know was that that was the only piece he could play all the way through from memory, and that his other pieces were far too hard! But this experience built up his confidence and self esteem and he is now at 14 years old a wonderful guitarist.
Any instrument is very hard at first and children need careful handling at the beginning stage because they can easily be put off for ever, you have to be sensitive to their needs and be very, very patient.
I am a school teacher but in my spare time I teach kids to play the guitar. Here are some tips on how to help your kid at home.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR SUPPORTING YOUR CHILD
(especially if you're not a musician yourself) :
- No matter what level your child is playing at you have to be nearby and PRAISE, PRAISE and PRAISE every effort. That's the most important thing I did! You have to be with your child every step of the way. You have to be committed and interested or else their enthusiasm to learn will die, because learning the guitar isn't easy.
- Guitar lessons for kids are a very good idea. I enrolled him for a weekly 15 minute lesson when he was 5 and that gave us something to work towards.
- I sit with him every day and at first it was for a few minutes, but now that he is 14 it can be for 2 hours! He plays several instruments, so he keeps me busy and entertained!
Benefits to Child Development
Learning a musical instrument, no matter which one, is very important for children developmentally. Music stimulates the parts of the brain that are related to reading, maths, and emotional development.
Listening to music is important too. Lots of research has been done about this.
Playing a musical instrument enriches children's lives, they become involved with orchestras, bands and groups, and this impacts on their self esteem. Every child wants to be good at something special.
I'd be lying if I said that my son doesn’t love his electric guitar too.
But if your child is still too young then here’s a T Shirt with guitar that plays on the front!
I've seen a video of someone playing theirs and it looks like great fun. You can buy drums too - why not start a band!
Great fun, and great gifts for musicians! 33 out of a possible 38 people gave this fun T Shirt 4 or 5 stars in Amazon.
There are other really lovely guitar themed T shirts on Amazon.com. If you click on these you'll be taken there.
Here's an article I wrote called Cool Gifts for Guitar Players If you know a guitarist then is lens for you.
Thanks very much indeed for your visit. Do you have a child who is keen to learn the guitar? Please leave a comment.
© 2014 Giovanna Sanguinetti