New Girl: Refreshing, Funny, Feel-Good TV Series
"Who's that girl? Who's that girl? It's Jess!"
This is the catchy introduction song of the TV series, New Girl, a US sitcom premiered on Fox on September 2011. It starred Zooey Deschanel as Jess, Jake Johnson as Nick, Max Greenfield as Schmidt, Lamorne Morris as Winston, Hannah Simone as Cece and Damon Wayans Jr as Coach. It has 6 seasons in which the latest episode was aired on April 2017.
New Girl is about Jess, a weird teacher who just broke up with her boyfriend and flatmate and was looking for a place to stay when she met Nick, Schmidt and Coach/Winston who became her loftmates. Cece is Jess' bestfriend who later on became part of the group.
So why you should watch this series?
1. It's light and funny. This is the kind of series that you can watch after working for long hours and you just want to relax and have a good laugh. The boys in this show are of different characteristics and you would love each one of them. It's not mind-puzzling and their punchlines are easy to understand.
2. Zooey Deschanel. I watched her in the movies, 500 days of summer and Yes Man. And after watching her, I just want more of her. This series will satisfy your cravings for her and her kookyness. You will get to see more of her singing prowess and bubbly attitude.
3. It has a rating of 93% in Rotten Tomatoes, 7.7 in IMDb and 7.9 in TV.com. What more do I have to say about these? These numbers speak for themselves already.
4. It's the post breakup and sleepovers must-have. Any brokenhearted woman could relate to Jess (how she gets angry, sad and binge-watch Dirty Dancing every night after the breakup). This show is like a pint of cold and delicious ice cream that you eat after the breakup. It's soothing, funny and will convince you that there's so much more than having a broken heart (like having good friends who are there for you)
5. There are lessons in this show. Aside from being a sitcom, this show will teach you so many lessons about love, family and friendships. Like even if Jess is a kooky person, her friends loved her for being her. And even if she was just fresh from the breakup, she found love in the company of her friends. There are so many more that you will get from just watching this show.
So, when you plan your sleepovers or during weekends, you may want to include New Girl to your list of shows for series or movie marathon.