10 Things to Learn from a Child
Children are the blessings sent from Heaven above!
Whenever we look back at life, we miss our childhood the most. Childhood is considered to be the golden period of life. Childhood is the time we used to live carefree, with no anxieties about present or future. But as we grow up, somehow that inherent happiness is lost somewhere and stress engulfs us. We long to be in that state of blissful happiness we used to be in as a child. But something seems to be missing! No matter how hard we try, we always have to make efforts to be happy.
We can't go back and relive our childhood but we can certainly learn a lot from children. My Master H.H.Sri Sri Ravishankar often tell us to be child-like because that's the way to live a perfect life. Just try to learn the essence of living from a child and see what difference it makes to your life. Try working on one habit at a time and notice the difference in yourself.
- Children are Carefree The curse of modern life is the mounting stress. Stress about work, stress to earn more money, stress to achieve success, peer pressure/ family pressure - All this is eating up the quality of our life. But was this always so? Do you remember how carefree we used to be as a kid? If only we can learn to be carefree like a child, our life would be so much better.
- Children are always Happy Children don't need a reason to be happy. They are happy most of the times. Their needs and wants are so little. They can be happy with a thing as little as a pack of wafers or ice-cream.Happiness is right here, right now. But as adults, we keep on postponing happiness to some date in future.
- Children are Innocent Children are innocent and full of unconditional love for everyone. They don't discriminate on the basis of colour,caste,creed or religion. For them, the whole world is their family.
- Children Laugh a lot Scientific studies reveal that a baby smiles 400 times a day and adolescent smiles only 17 times a day. But an adult hardly smiles. So what happened to us when we grew up? Where did we lose our smile in the process of growing up?
- Children are Daring Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.Children are adventurous and daring by nature. They are not afraid of taking risks. Impossible word is not in their dictionary. But adults somehow resist change and are averse to risks.
- Children give 100% Children give their 100% in whatever they are doing. They give their best shot to everything they do. Something might seem impossible but they won't give up without trying and in the end, they are satisfied because they have done their best.
- Children Live in Present Have you ever noticed that the children are always happy? It is because they live in the present and enjoy each moment as it comes. They don't dwell over the past or future. But adult minds function like a pendulum- always swinging to and fro from past to future.
- Children Stretch their hand first Children fight and argue but they don't stay angry for long. They immediately patch up and resume playing. They don't wait for the other person to stretch the hand of friendship first.While we adults hold grudges and find it hard to let go. Learn from a child to value friendships more than ego.
- Children are Selfless Children's actions are not guided by hidden motives. They are selfless and pure. Extending a hand to help comes very naturally to them.Being kind to others brings happiness to ourselves.
- Children are Loving Children are the perfect examples of unconditional love. Children love without expecting anything in return. They are capable of loving everybody without any mental barriers. Adults only talk of everyone being the creation of the same God but seldom practice it.
Return to childhood is possible only if we remember to be childlike in our approach. But remember there is a subtle difference between being childlike and being childish. Being childlike can make you endearing and appealing. On the other hand, being childish can make you look silly and a laughing stock of the gathering.
Be graceful and be childlike!
The soul is healed by being with children.— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
What is the most endearing thing about childhood?
Jungle Book - Theme Song
© 2014 Shaloo Walia