Baby's First Cupcake Made Healthier
It's Your Baby's First Birthday...
And you can wait to get that first picture, of him smashing that birthday cake into his precious little face. Let's face it though, birthday cake isn't the most healthy thing in the world, and although giving cake to your baby is probably not going to be an every day thing for you, you might be interested in making that cake a little more healthy, without sacrificing taste. These cupcakes are delicious. I sent them to work with my husband, and everyone LOVED them, and no one knew that they weren't as fattening as normal cupcakes. On top of that, I feel that cupcakes are ideal for a birthday party because they come in a perfectly convenient, single serving size.
Applesauce Spice Cupcake
What you'll need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- in a large measuring cup, combine applesauce and buttermilk. Alternately ass buttermilk mixture, and flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Scoop batter into 24 muffin cups, and bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack, frost, and decorate.
Low Fat Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
What you'll need:
- 8oz fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth, and place in refrigerator until ready to frost.