Double Prams: What Really is the Best Double Stroller?
Double prams are the key to many parents happiness and freedom. But, finding the best double stroller can be a daunting task. I'm here to make some recommendations.
Okay, I will admit it... I was shocked to learn I was having twins. And, perhaps even more shocked to discover all the additional twin products I'd need. Suddenly I found myself desperately searching for double prams (in addition to all the other "double" items I needed). Of course, when it comes to strollers, safety is the primary concern. I've spent hours of research trying to find out what the reviews all said about the best double stroller.
In case you're not familiar with the term "pram", it means a baby buggy or stroller.
During my research a few things became clear in terms of qualities that are highly desirable for double prams. These characteristics are: quality construction, lightweight, readily collapsible, easy to clean, easy to use, highly maneuverable, safe harnesses and high safety ratings.
The best double stroller for you will also depend upon the age of your children. If you have twin infants, for example, having reclining seats and snap in car seats is optimal. The best one will also depend upon what your intended use is. Obviously, you will need a different stroller if you plan on using it for long walks as opposed to short shopping trips.
What to Look for in Double Prams
- Of course, safety always comes first. Check the safety ratings on the strollers you are interested in, make sure they meet state and federal regulations. Five point harnesses are the safest bet, and not altogether easy to find. Saving money on strollers should never include sacrificing the safety of your children.
- Ease of maneuverability is key! Look for double prams with swivel wheels or you will be ready to ditch your stroller at the mall entrance. Tandem strollers are much easier to fit in small spaces.
- A solid, responsive and easy to operate braking system will allow you to be in better control.
- Double prams are often transported to and from places. You will want one that collapses readily and doesn't take up too much space.
- Having a lightweight double stroller will save you a lot of back pain and hassle.
- It's nice to have washable covers on your strollers. Kids are messy, so you will want to be able to strip them off and throw them in your washing machine.
- Drink holders are a nice feature for kids on the go.
- Storage space for diapers, wipes and personal belongings is also a huge benefit.
- Look for ones that are capable of working for infants and toddlers both, in others words can suit the needs of your growing children. If you play your cards right, you won't have to purchase another double pram, which is ideal given the price of double strollers!
Double Prams: Best Double Stroller for Twin Infants, Infant Travel System Capable of Adjusting to Growing Children
Kolcraft Contours OptionsTandem II Stroller
- Very well made, sturdy construction and stylish double prams. Five point harness seats.
- Adjustable canopy to accommodate growing children, each seat can hold 40 pounds.
- Fully reclinable seats for naps.
- A car seat attachment that works with most car seat brands. Trust me, this is soooo nice. This way you can buy any brand of car seat you want. If you have twin infants, you will need to buy a second seat attachment separately.
- Totally adjustable seating arrangements! This is one of the best features of this stroller. Both can face forward or backward, one can face forward while the other faces backwards and they can face towards or away from each other.
- Very toddler-friendly features such as areas for easy step in, "stadium style" seating for better views and handles toddlers can hold onto when walking alongside the stroller.
- Great storage space for parents.
- Fantastic maneuverability due its front 8" swivel wheels with suspension. It works well on all terrains. The rear wheels are 10" never flat wheels, too.
- Best value and very reasonably priced.
- Disadvantage: It's relatively heavy, so getting it in and out of a car could be easier. It weighs 48 pounds.
Double Prams, Best Jogger Double Stroller: BOB Revolution Duallie Stroller
This is an all around fantastic stroller, although technically a jogger stroller, you won't be disappointed with its performance in a store, either.
Features of the BOB Revolution Duallie Stroller
- Five point harness, ATSM certification.
- Fantastic maneuverability! It is so easy to push, it barely feel like you're pushing a stroller at all. Its smooth ride and ease of steering is due to its 12" front swivel wheels, 16" rear wheels and three inches of adjustable shock absorbers.
- Locks forward for jogging by an adjustment knob on the front wheel.
- It has 2 huge canopies with windows to protect your kids from the elements while they can still see.
- It's very lightweight, a meager 32 pounds since its frame is aluminum.
- Responsive braking system, easy to steer with one hand.
- Roomy and ample storage space.
- Easy 2 step folding system.
- Padded, reclining seats.
- Very easy to assemble.
Disadvantages of the BOB Revolution:
- Seats only recline to 70 degrees.
- BOB says the folding makes it compact, but there's nothing compact about it. It still takes up a lot of car/storage space.
- It does NOT come with any accessories like cup holders or a rain shield. I will say the high-coverage canopies do a great job keeping out the rain, however.
Double Prams: Best Umbrella Double Stroller: Graco Twin Ipo Double Umbrella Stroller
Features of the Graco Twin Ipo Double Umbrella Stroller:
Comfortable, machine washable padding!
- Multiple (actually infinite) reclining positions for the seats, great for small infants.
- Convertible three or five point harness system.
- Adjustable footrest.
- Ample underseat basket storage area, readily accessible even when the seats are upright.
- These double prams have great maneuverability with triple front and rear wheels (12 wheels total).
- Comfortable padded handles.
- Super easy to fold, basically does it by itself. You can do it with one hand.
- Although heavy for an umbrella stroller at 32.5 pounds, it's still lightweight.
- It has a weight capacity of 100 pounds, or 50 pounds per seat. So, it's great for infants all the way up to large toddlers.
Disadvantages of the Graco Twin Ipo:
- The canopies aren't very big, so there's not a lot of weather protection.
- It doesn't come with cup holders or many accessories.
- The handlebars aren't adjustable, so if you're quite tall or short you may find the handles at an undesirable height.
- Only performs well on flat terrain, like smooth city streets or stores.
Let me know if you have any other recommendations on double prams or the best double stroller. Tell me your experiences and thoughts.... leave a comment in the box below!