Every Child's Must Have
I was at the mall with a friend one Sunday afternoon when I saw a scene that inspired me to write this article. The scene? A cute girl of about 4 years old, in a pink floral dress and a pigtail, throwing the worst tantrum I have ever scene. The cause? She wanted a new Barbie doll. The girl was having such a meltdown that I could tell that the mother was embarrassed and was torn between laying a hand or just leave the child alone. She chose the latter, which earned more tantrums, this time, the girl threw herself on the floor shrieking and thrashing about.
So here is my list of every child's must have:
1.Every child must have the right to be born. Never mind that he will have tantrums in the years to come, every child has a right to live. Abortion is and should never be an option. After all, he had no say whatsoever when he was brought into this world. He was just the product of a natural urging. Willing or not, every parent should be responsible to the offspring of such a basic instinct.
2.Every child must have proper sustenance, a roof over his head, quality education and a safe place to live. These needs must be given because they are due to him. He never should have to beg for it.Neither should he be allowed to suffer because of the lack of it. After all, it's not as if he should work hard to earn his due just to support himself. These things are privileges that childhood has to offer.
3. Every child must have the right to choose his own calling. Never mind that his mother wanted him to be a priest or for her daughter to become the next beauty queen. So what if instead of becoming a priest, he turned out to be a lawyer? Or instead of becoming a beauty queen, she grew up as a soldier? The choice should be left to the child on what he wanted to be. What is important is he loves what he does and is the best at it. What parents should do is be a constant presence, to give all the support that he needs so that the child would always know that even if he falls and commits major mistakes, his parents would always stick around and love him nonetheless.
4. Every child must have the patience to wait for nature to take its course. Those killer heels, make-up and skimpy attire, hair gel and shaving cream would have to wait. It's okay to drool over Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber when he/she sees them on TV, but they should not spend their hard-earned allowance for a poster of these personalities. Neither should they lose sleep just because they are watching their MTV's nonstop. Puberty and maturity is just around the bend. It will come soon enough. Till then, he must act her age and enjoy his childhood while it lasts.
5. Every child must have to learn to accept a NO. Tantrums or none, sometimes, he cannot get what he wants all the time. Even at a young age, he has to realize and understand that in life, no matter how much effort a person puts on things, it does not always mean triumph and tribulations. The answer to a prayer maybe a No. It happens not because he is meant to fail but because the timing is not right and he has more to learn.
6. Every child must have a right to say NO. No to trafficking, no to slavery, no to bullying, no to forced labor, no to drugs, no to all kinds of abuse.
7. Every child must learn that life is often not handed in a silver platter. Even as a child, he should not only be pampered with love, care and security but also of discipline and a sense of responsibility. Who and what he will become one day depends not only on the environment around him and what his parents give him but also of his own making-his own free will.
Every child is a gift..a blessing. How he is treated as a child will somehow mold his future. Though it is cute to see a child having tantrums every once in a while, it should not be left that way for long.