ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to File for Custody of Your Children: With or Without an Attorney

Updated on December 11, 2010

Untangling the Web

One of the great American tragedies of our generation is the separation of children from loving parents. Divorce always causes some separation from both parents, but all too often loving, caring parents have had time with their own children minimized or reduced merely because of circumstances no one would have wanted for their children.

If you are a parent who has less than equal time with your children, or if the children’s other parent has brought unwanted influences into their lives, no doubt you want this to change. You want your children to have more time with you. And you know this may require a change of custody – or at least a change in the custodial relationship that presently exists.

Yet hiring an attorney to help you with this problem can be daunting. The cost of his or her services alone can be prohibitive. But even if you have the money to pay the attorney, the language he speaks, his detachment from your own circumstances, and the reality that he will never present everything you would if you were handling your own case – all make the prospect of hiring a lawyer unsavory.

But you don’t have to turn over the future of your relationship with your children to a disinterested stranger. You can be your own advocate! And if you do, the costs can be minimal.

One great advantage of the internet is that there are so many resources available today right at your fingertips. The leader in online legal service and forms is Legal Zoom. While Legal Zoom is best known for online forms for Wills and contracts, it also offers forms and resources in every area of law, including child custody.

Likewise, there are a number of family advocacy groups that provide resources that can be helpful to you in your own particular situation. An excellent example of this type of provider is Reform Family Law Now. In other states, there are similar groups who provide links to exactly the forms you will need.

In many states, you can find the forms you need immediately from a website associated with the family system in the state where your children reside. For example, in Indiana, you can go to the Indiana Judiciary Self Service Center to obtain forms that will guide you through the process.

As a caveat, however, you should understand that this is not a panacea for your troubles. Many judges, in fact, do not like pro se filings because they cannot trust the legal opinion of the litigants. The judge may even tell you that your paperwork is not in order and you need to have an attorney file it for you.

Along with its many other services, Elusen, with the help of licensed attorneys, provides coaching and guidance on working your way through the maze of issues a custody matter presents. And we offer these services at a fraction of the cost of hiring an attorney, or even of a typical family therapist or counselor. If we can assist you in any way, please call us today at (888) 322-8975.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Deshaputra I profile image

      Deshaputra I 

      9 years ago from Jakarta -Indonesia

      thanks Elusen for your kind information. i've been reading through your great hubs on law matters especially on private laws and hope they'll help me on my daily assignments.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)