Why Use a Nanny Agency- Best Nanny Agencies
Find a Qualified and Trustworthy Nanny or Babysitter
If you’ve never hired a nanny before, it is a huge step and a decision that needs to be given a lot of thought to. In this guideline, I want to help make the process more pleasant and worry-free for you. More importantly I want you to end up with a well-qualified nanny who suits your family's needs.
Many families conduct their nanny search the traditional way of posting an ad on Craigslist, or asking friends or family for referrals. This can be a long and tedious process, resulting in more headaches and possible bad fit. Then it requires having to do the process all over again. Why not use a nanny agency or a web-based referral service?
Benefit of Using Nanny Agencies
Many full time parents who simply don’t have the time to search for the perfect nanny are using the help of nanny agencies or online babysitting services to help match them with the right person. These services are becoming increasingly popular and can save a lot of time and headaches, while eliminating trial and error.
Your child deserves the best caregiver you can find. It doesn’t need to be a long and tedious search. You just need to be patient and resourceful. Sometimes we're not lucky enough to have help from our friends or family who can take care of our kids.
Quick summary of why a nanny agency may be beneficial to you
- They do all the work (interviewing, screening candidates, conduct background checks)
- Provide assistance with contracts, payroll, and salary negotiation.
- They have more experience and resources!
- Saves time and effort
- Gives you a peace of mind!
Before starting the process- Identify your priorities
Have a heart to heart with your partner and picture your ideal nanny. Write a list of qualities that you want the potential nanny to have. Mentally walk yourself through a typical day and write down all the things you do yourself.
- What type of duties do you need her to undertake aside from caring for your child? Does she need to cook and clean?
- Do you want someone older with more experience and maturity or younger?
- Do you care if your nanny has a college degree?
- Does she need to be able to get along with a 50 lb dog?
Highly Recommended Nanny Agencies!
- There are local nanny agencies that will help you find a nanny or babysitter in your area. Most reputable local agencies have a website that you can look at beforehand. This website will give you a listing of local nanny agencies in your city: nannynetwork.com
- There are also online agencies that connect you with a list of nannies and babysitters. The service provides you all of the contact information, as well as the candidate's background. Think of it as a comprehensive list of resumes that you can look through and choose. The two highly recommended sites are: Care.com and Sittercity.com both of which are discussed below.
Depending on your need and affordability, either one of the agencies can be very useful.
Local Nanny Agencies- "The professionals"
Nanny agencies want to make sure that they hire a top-notch nanny who could end up becoming an important part of the family through a bond that lasts a lifetime.
Using this service can be very costly, depending on where you live. If you have room within your budget, using a professional nanny agency will save you a lot of time and effort, not to mention headaches.
There are a number of reasons why I recommend using a nanny agency.
- It saves you time and effort throughout the hiring process
- They weed out candidates who submit resumes with inaccuracies
- Has years of experience. Know what to look for.
- They negotiate the job offer and compensation package.
- Verify background checks, work experience, driving violations, criminal records, blood and tuberculosis tests, work references.
When finding the right nanny agency, you should check to see if it is licensed, bonded, and insured. Next you have to register with the agency, which includes filling out a throrough application.
The agencies select, and refer candidates who will satisfy the your family’s needs. They are experts at matching nannies to your specific needs. By the time they refer you a candidate, they have interviewed them, screen them, and conducted background checks. References are called and employment history has been verified. They usually interview multiple applicants before presenting a few finalists to you.
Agencies will also guide you through the interview process. They should also help you with salary and tax issues, or refer you to a payroll specialist. Agencies will collect their fee when the nanny starts work, typically average of 12%. By the time they give you the names of the final candidates, these are the most qualified candidates that matches your need! You can now choose from a few highly selected candidates! There's no guessing- they're cream of the crop!
Have you ever used a nanny service?
If only they all could sing...
Internet Nanny Service- "Resume Listers"
Internet services are very helpful when it comes to matching your family up with the right family, saves time, by combing certain elements of the traditional nanny agency and the DIY option. It gives you more control over your nanny search. You can basically scroll through and contact the ones that interest you.
Web based referral services are much more affordable, as they provide some but not all of the services of a traditional agency. These websites have compiled a comprehensive system for nannies and parents to find each other.
Online websites, such as Sitter.com, will provide a listing of all the prospective clients with an extensive profile view. You can browse through every single profile to see if there are a sufficient number of candidates available before you subscribe. The only information that is limited is their contact number. If you decide to subscribe, you will be required to pay a flat fee. you will then have access to all the profile’s contact information.
You are then responsible for all of your own screening process. The main benefits of this method is:
- You can immediately contact the candidate right away.
- It is much cheaper.
- Privacy. You can contact by emailing them and only talk to the ones that are appealing to you.
- You can view their online profile, which is similar to a resume.
The drawback of this is that you are truly on your own. You can be missing out on the quality and depth of the online support.
Is your babysitter well qualified?
Best online nanny agencies!
Recommended web-based referral service
Nanniesforhire.com and care4hire.com are both nationwide online nanny and family matching service since 1987. They are both the same company, and have been featured on Dr.Phil, Supernanny, Discovery Channel.
Nannies4hire.com has a large nanny and family matching database. They are one of the largest and most successful online databases in the business- which means they are good at what they do! Care4hire.com has similar services, helping families find a babysitter, housekeeper, tutor, elderly caregiver, personal assistants, house sitter, and party planners.
Care.com and sitter.com offer similar services. They both have a premier membership, that gives you access to free, unlimited background checks, recorded references and rating, and additional resources to help you choose from among over a million profiles.
What you would normally see on the profile:
- Availability schedule
- Background checks
- References (Recorded phone conversation)
- Reviews (Testimonials from parents)
- Years of experience
- Additional services provided
- Salary rate preferred
- Language spoken
When it comes to hiring a nanny or babysitter, sometimes you cannot use your judge of character alone. Your child spends at least 6-8 hours a day with your nanny, taking into account their waking hours. Their developmental growth is built on the relationship and interaction that your nanny gives. Why not give them the best quality care that you can afford? Your child deserves the best caregiver you can find.
Good luck in finding the best fit for your family!
All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 2012 Turtlewoman (Kim Lam)