Early Onset of Periods in Girls - Are You Worried as a Parent?
It has been said that daughters grow up much faster than sons. All the relatives, neighbours and even parents acknowledge their growth advancement. It is generally considered to be a natural process, but sometimes it can be a medical problem rather than a natural process of physical development. As it becomes more important to identify it in time and to get proper medical care. The symptoms of premature physical development of girls are called early puberty or beginning of a puberty period. Generally, the symptoms of puberty period in girls such as the onset of periods occur around the age of 13 to 14 years. This is actually the right and natural time for the process.
But due to the changing lifestyle, especially in urban areas, the age at which the period should start is reduced to less than 10 years, which is definitely a worrying situation. The onset of periods in the tender time of childhood makes them mentally disturbed. They stop playing with the children of their age group. They start losing confidence as they always remain apprehensive about their body.
Why Do Girls Get Periods?
A period refers to the changes that took place in the body due to changes in the hormones. Hormones send messages to our body. The hormones cause the lining of the uterus or womb to build up. This gets the uterus to be ready for an egg and a sperm to attach and grow into a baby. If the girl or woman does not get pregnant, the lining breaks down and bleeds. This happens to be every month.
Changes That Occurs In The Body
Early-onset of periods can cause premature sexual desire in girls. This situation becomes uncomfortable for both the parents and the girls. There is plenty of difference between their physical and mental maturity, due to which they have to face many mental and psychological changes constantly.
"If your girl is on her period: don't argue with her, bring her food, watch movies with her, make her something to eat, RUB HER TUMMY, make her laugh, lay down with her, hold her in your arms, massage her, don't say 'ew', handle her mood swings, understand she's in pain." — Unknown
Reasons for Early Periods
Generally, lifestyle, pollution and some social factors attribute to the root of the problem. To some extent, it is accurate also. But with this, it is also true that every person has challenges related to their health, so on observing such symptoms one should immediately contact the doctor.
According to the reports by many gynaecologists, the various possible reasons for the early periods can be as follows
- Undesirable obesity since childhood due to passive lifestyle and unbalanced and improper eating habits.
- Excessive intake of fruits, meat, eggs, vegetables cooked with pesticides, unnatural hormones and antibiotics.
- Stressed, sensitive and struggling childhood.
- Excessive intake of soybean or soybean rich products by the mother during pregnancy.
- Excessive usage of plastic items.
- Excess food intake of products having yeast.
- Use of high fluoride water.
How to Avoid this Problem?
- Breastfeeding is very important for every kid. The girls who are deprived of breastfeeding for any reason increases their chances of having this problem manifold.
- During pregnancy, foods with yeast should be avoided especially food items made of soya bean. The girl child also should not be given such foods.
- Do not store food items in plastic boxes or polythene.
- Always eat pure and fresh food.
- Avoid using dairy products or milk whose sources are not natural.
- Avoid foods having pesticides and chemicals. Also, try to prevent processed and packed food items.
- Use artificial air freshener as less as possible.
- Ensure that your daughter's toys do not contain harmful BPA elements. Do not let the child play with toys made of harmful plastic.
Consequences of Early Periods
1. Short structure : Girls who get early periods often fall short of height and growth at the same time than other children of their age group.
2. Premature sexual activity: Although many parents may worry, but there is not enough and strong evidence that girls with early periods are likely to be sexually active at a young age.
3. Stress: Early puberty can cause confusion in kids even if it is happening at an average of 12 years olds. They might feel apprehensive about looking different from their perspectives. Early menstruation can be disturbing for girls aged 9 or younger. Parents can help their kids emotionally by educating them about the changes they would expect.
4. Other risks: Some studies have shown a link between early puberty and a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer later in life. However proper research has to be done regarding the theory.
In most of the cases, there is a prominent or abnormal reason for why the body started to produce these hormones so early. Although, body weight, hereditary conditions, less physical activity can be important factors. If your daughter is going through puberty earlier than her classmates, she may feel isolated and awkward. As a parent, the best thing you can do is to reassure her and explain each new activity taking place in the body. Be straightforward as children accept very well the truth and are more resilient than we give them the credit. One more thing to do as a parent can be to provide all the supplies she needs during her periods.