Parenthood is a Journey
Parenthood is a Journey
As parents we want to ensure that we are bringing up our children in the right way. There are so many issues out there that can challenge our roles as parents. Successful parenting is not just about ensuring our children are straight "A's" students, it is about bringing up children who will be responsible for themselves and to society.
Parents need to work it out together
Too many times we see either dad or mum deeply committed to taking care of the needs of the children, while the other is laid-back or takes a back seat whenever there are issues with the children to be solved.
Parents need to work as a team and together. Both Mum and Dad are equally important in every decision made in the family. There are some steps to take.
- Mum and Dad needs to show love for each other. Children when seeing fights and arguments between parents tend lose some sense of security. If you need to quarrel, do not do it in front of the chiildren. However, avoid fights and quarrels. Learn to Appreciate each other, say nice things to each other and mean it. Do something special for each other, like going out on a date together, or some loving actions like a hug or a peck on the cheek.
- Parents need to support each other. It is really teamwork. Offer to help when one is too busy with some chores or with helping a child with his school assignment.
- Children do observe parents and do as they do. I am talking about being good role models. It is important how parents carry and conduct themselves not only at home but also in public. Let your talk be your walk also. Do not confuse them.
- Most parents do not find time to be alone together to talk and discuss parenting issues. Take time off to have a coffee at a cafeteria, or a long lunch at a restaurant and enjoy a good time of conversation and discuss family and children. This is a good time to align the thoughts and work out together to help your children.
Parents building relationship with your child
In today's world, most do not spend time to build that relationship with our children. The closest person to our children could be their grandparents or nanny. This is too unfortunate. All the children could get from parents are words of anger, punishments, naggings, uncalled for remarks which brings about hurt. Slowly they hate you as parents. Relationship starts to sour and there is a rift between parent and child.
Some steps towards better relationship with your children.
- Find time to play with your children.
- Allot some time for each child to know him or her personally. Allowing your child to know you personally too.
- Praise your child. This is not easy, but start learning some good words to use to praise your child when there are even small successes in his life.
- Write notes or send a text message are simple ways to communicate with your child. Just to say you love him or just thought of him... simple communications which goes a long long way.
- Help him to be an independent child. Hold him for a while and slowly teach him to be an independent person. Some children need that added patience and help from dad or mum to learn do some things independently.