Phrases to Encourage A Child
How to Encourage a Child
Children need encouragement if they are to blossom and grow into happy and self confident adults. Some adults may fear children will "get a big head" if they receive praise. Or, they may not have received praise and encouragement in their own childhood, so don't realize how important it is to give encouragement to their children.
But it is important to encourage children in appropriate ways and settings. What is not helpful is overdoing it on the praise as they may not believe any of it because they hear positive phrases come out of your mouth so often. Or they may start to think they are super-human because they constantly only hear wonderful things from you about their abilities. There can be a happy medium to encourage children. And there are many creative ways of saying encouraging words to children without sounding like the same broken record.
List of Encouraging Phrases
The following list can be used by parents, care providers, teachers, religious class teachers, Scout leaders, youth staff, coaches and anyone else that works with children in any capacity. Please feel free to choose any of these phrases that will work best to encourage the child or children in your life:
* You did that so well!
* You are very creative!
* Thanks for helping me _____
* Spectacular helping!
* You are special / you are special to me!
* I knew you could do it!
* I can tell how hard you tried!
* You are incredible at _________!
* Beautiful work!
* Good job!
* I like your work!
* I love how you used so many colors!
* I enjoy your...( music, artwork, reading to me, etc.)
* You are a treasure!
* My life is better because you're in it!
* You make me smile when I think about how you ____________ !
* You make me happy when ___________ !
* Good for you!
* That was a great try!
* You make my heart smile!
* You are unique because _____________ !
* You are so creative!
* Hurray for you!
* I told my friend _________ about how well you __________ !
* I knew you could do it!
* I'm proud of you!
* You made my day!
* You make me feel special!
* What a neat way to do that!
* I thought about you when I was at work today and it made me smile!
* You are amazing!
* You are my special gift from God!
* I'm glad you are part of our family!
* Our family wouldn't be the same without you in it!
* You are my favorite ___________ ( you fill in the blank...redhead if you only have one, daughter if you only have one, artist, singer, etc.
* I love you ( you would be surprised at how many children don't hear this, or don't hear it very often)
Add to these comments with a hug or a high five or arm around the shoulders, and you will see your child light up. It only takes a short time to encourage a child, but it can really make a difference in a child's life.
Please feel free to add more phrases that have worked for you to encourage children in your life in the comment section.