Useful Tips On How to teach your kids Sign Language
10 Tips you must know before Teaching your baby sign language
Children start learning language well before many month before they use it.Most of the babies have physical and mental ability to learn sign language at the age of 8 months.Please note that waving bye or mouth movement are a form of sign language.
Teaching a baby sign language is a great way to help him/her to learn and communicate before he/she actually talk.And it has also proven in research that the kids who learn sign language at early age has high probability to have IQ than other kids who learn late.And as it says Baby sign language is a bridge of communication between parents and kids.
So lets see 10 tips you must know before you teach sign language to your kids:
- Speak while you teach - While teaching your kids sign language, always speak.This helps the kids to learn quickly as they see your face.
- Use your face - Always makes faces and expression, It makes easier for kids to catch words.words like anger,please,sorry can be easily expressed by face.Remember it is as important as hand gestures.
- Always use it - Even though you don't like to use it when somebody else around you, or you are tired, try to use it as much as you can.For example if your baby needs more food or milk, ask him in sign language.
- See what he likes - Always check what sign your makes your baby fascinated, monitor those and use it as much as you can.signs like mommy,daddy,teddy are good to start with.
- Be Patient - Don't loose your patience, sometime it takes some time before baby learn those words.use it regularly and slowly but surely he/she will pick it.
- Make it funny - Baby likes to learn it in funny way.makes face gestures,sing , jump or do whatever you think is funny.kids learns it quickly and enjoy time with you.
- Involve others - Try to involve other family members in teaching.Dad can be a good candidate for it.The more people use it with the baby, quickly he learn.
- React like you won - Whenever your baby learn some signs, reacts like you won a jackpot.Jump,shout,clap or makes faces to baby. It sent a positive signal to baby and he will keep on learning.
- Never show frustration - It is quite normal that your baby takes time to learn and you were getting frustrated.Showing anger or frustration on baby makes them scary.keep calm and continue it again.
- Don't use sign if you don't mean it - Never use any sign if you don't mean it, it will confuse the baby.also teach the same thing to baby so that he will also don't show any sign if he don't need any particular thing.
- Enjoy yourself - You always should enjoy yourself while doing it.Kids can easily noticed negativity and if he will, he will not show much interest too.If you feel boring or don't like it, try something else.
- Try some classes or books - If you still want to learn more about it, try some classes or books.