What are the pros and cons of letting a baby use a pacifier?

1. kaltopsyd profile image81
    kaltopsydposted 7 years ago

What are the pros and cons of letting a baby use a pacifier?

I know of children who have become ADDICTED to their pacifiers well into their 6th year.

2. Research Analyst profile image80
    Research Analystposted 7 years ago

Some of the disadvantages of Pacifiers is that they have been shown to interfere with breastfeeding, especially if introduced within the first 6 weeks of life.

Also children who use pacifiers may be more prone to ear infections, and delayed speech development due to the pacifier's constant presence in their mouths. Prolonged use can cause dental problems.

Advantages Pacifiers is a reduction in the risk of (SIDS) Sudden infant death syndrome, some parents prefer the use of pacifiers to the child sucking their thumbs.

3. CMCastro profile image81
    CMCastroposted 7 years ago

The pacifier is controlled by the parent. It is really a choice of the parent who lets the child use it. Sucking is a natural response of a baby that soothes the baby. To not suck is taking away one of the baby's natural comfort measures. The disadvantage of a pacifier is during the time when the teeth are coming in and the child could develop "buck teeth".
    Another disadvantage is that it will replace a child's ability to use other measures to gain comfort. An example is the thumb sucker in preschool. By that age a child can be given the understanding that it is not acceptable. The books "Bye-Bye Pacifier" and "Bye-bye Bottle" helped my son overcome these things at the age of two, along with my mom and I knowing the right way to handle it.

working