jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

my son is adhd with several odd components. We have learnt to deal with thyis bu

1. profile image45
    shandaleposted 7 years ago

my son is adhd with several odd components. We have learnt to deal with thyis but what we are...

not dealing with is the stealing. It is getting worse. It seems as though he is just stealing for the sake of stealing.He doen't want for anything at all. We don't know what to do

2. danatheteacher profile image67
    danatheteacherposted 7 years ago

Record his behavior.
    +Time, Date, Incident, Contributing Factors

Keep taking him to the doctor for regular med checkups.
    +maybe see a psychiatrist

Monitor his friends.
    +selling/trading stuff?

Get him in to therapy.
    +If you cannot afford it due to lack of insurance, there are of often community resource options.

Whatever you do, do not ignore this. Do not minimize it. I encourage you to continue to be as proactive as possible!

3. mimind profile image59
    mimindposted 7 years ago

I am sorry but adhd is not linked to stealing so for disability purposes unless he is diagnosed as oppositional defiant as well if somthing occurs with school he can be suspended or kicked out (just to warn you). He knows the differance between right and wrong besides trying to influence him be it tough love or other methods you can not control only influence him. I went to school with many people who stole for fun alone or to just show off. The answer below has good suggestions but realize that the ADHD might help this behavior but it is not causing it.

4. Enelle Lamb profile image86
    Enelle Lambposted 7 years ago

This is something that is fairly common with ADHD/ODD children (believe it or not.) My son went through several years of stealing, to the point where I involved the police. The only thing that seemed to stop him was when several of his things went missing, and I used that to compare how he was feeling to how others felt when their things were taken. That finally seemed to get through, and he hasn't done it since.
    The one thing that works, even though it doesn't appear to at the time, is being consistent with consequences.