jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Ideas for healthy food for a 1 year old who is picky?

1. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

Ideas for healthy food for a 1 year old who is picky?

My daughter (13mths old) was started on veggies but now hates them. Her diet consists of fruit, whole grain crackers and bread, cheese, yogurt and milk. Outside of those foods I can't find much she will eat. She hates meat and veggies. Any ideas? We eat healthy and offer what we eat but she refuses and just throws it off her highchair.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6376255_f260.jpg

2. MKayo profile image91
    MKayoposted 6 years ago

Wow, sounds like one of my kids. My wife and I decided to gently encourage but not push or force our daughter to eat veggies. At least your kid eats fruit!

We started by making a puree of broccoli or spinach and mixing that into things like spaghetti sauce and lasagna. When she was about 8, we started putting a small, single piece of broccoli or other veggie on her plate and encouraged her to eat it. Eventually, she would wrap it in mashed potatoes and down it went. Small victories are important with kids. Our daughter is a sophomore in HS now and she loves salads and will also eat SOME other veggies. She is willing to try new things if not pushed. Seems that our kids just dug in when we pushed so we just served what she would eat.

I think it's important to remember you have time on your side and many, many days and years to encourage her to try new things. Just keep putting the veggies in front of her, preparing them in ways she might like, and she will probably start eating them one day. BTW, she is beautiful!

3. Skarlet profile image87
    Skarletposted 6 years ago

bananas. Have you tried sweet bananas from Harvest organic baby food? I like it:)

4. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 6 years ago

I think that what you are feeding your kid makes lots of sense....

HOWEVER, I detect, in your submittal, a VERY CRITICAL question that YOU must answer:   That is:  WHO is going to determine what your child eats???

Sounds to me like you're abdicating that decision to the kid.... and THAT, is WRONG!!!!

Believe me... it starts with the kid's diet.... then goes on to any/all the OTHER "decisions" that you are going to fail to keep for yourself.  Unfortunately, there are OODLES of parents in this world who started like you.... then gave up more and more control/direction of their kid.... and ended up asking "Where did we go wrong????" when their child morphs from a spoiled toddler to a spoiled adolescent... then spoiled teen ... and spoiled young adult....

You may refer to Dr John Rosemond if you think I'm not up to making this submittal.....

5. infocity profile image44
    infocityposted 5 years ago

Healthy food is not just about eating tasty food items. Green vegetables help in warding off number of body ailments but they end up traumatizing your taste buds. Explore this article below that guides you over list of healthy super foods which not only adds delight to your palate but keeps you hale and hearty too! - http://www.healthupdate.info/food-choic … lthy-life/

working