jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are children essential constituents of a 'happy' home?

1. silverstararrow profile image82
    silverstararrowposted 5 years ago

Are children essential constituents of a 'happy' home?

Is it necessary that you must have children around to experience happiness in your own house? I've come across people who are sad about their children being all grown up and can't wait for some grandkids to pop up, who they can love and spoil. Are kids such an important entity to fill a virtual void in our lives?

2. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

Most people feel they need children after they've already had them. Typically, people who haven't had children have not done so because 1) They chose not to and are content without them or 2) They were unable to conceive or couldn't afford it and many other things, reasons like this of which would make them sad. But as I said, MOST people that are sad without children in the home have had them already and miss them.

Are they ESSENTIAL to a "happy" home? Not necessarily. Are they essential to continuing mankind's existence? Yes. But you don't necessarily have to have children in order to be happy.

3. Ciel Clark profile image74
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

It is not necessary to have children to have a happy home... unless that home wants children.  To want children and get them, ahh, bliss!
    I have friends who have chosen not to have children and who are extremely happy.  I also have friends who want children but don't have any... not so happy.  There are also the surprise parents, and that can go either way!

4. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

I don't think they are, couples can be happy without children, personally I have several friends that don't want to have children and they are perfectly happy. The point is you won't miss what you never had, if you never had children, you won't know the joy they bring, you'll also won't know about the responsability and the stress ... Obviously a child's laughter and energy is full of life and once you get used to that silence becomes something you really need to fill in, but that is because you got used to that. Now, there is also another side to that desire to fill the house with children again, a lot of times the couple forgot to be there for one another because they had kids and then once the kids are gone, what are they going to do with themselves, do they still know each other, what are they to talk about... So, I think they should consider getting to know each other again and find their own happiness, instead of thinking about getting the house filled with kids again...