jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Does a 2-yr-old even know what bullying is?

1. TesstheScribbler profile image59
    TesstheScribblerposted 5 years ago

Does a 2-yr-old even know what bullying is?

My kid was accused of this recently...I believe she was just rough housing like she does with her daddy at home.  I agree if rough housing is not handled soon, it could turn into bullying.  However, I'm handling it everyday and she's been even better when playing with other kids lately (even sharing).  But a toddler bullying (an intent to hurt on purpose)?  I researched that the earliest age a kid can bully is 4-yrs-old.  What do you think?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

A toddler may not understand what bullying is, but is fully capable of bullying simply by learning that being physically aggressive gets her or him what they want - attention, or physical activity or (fill in the blank).

I have to say (and don't hang me, please) i it would seem instead of you having to handle it, your husband who is doing the rough housing that she has learned, needs to step in and stop the rough housing with her until she can learn self-control.

Two year old children are basically sponges with raw nerve endings and learn and soalk up everything they are exposed to and overreact to it on a regular basis.

TesstheScribblerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well put duffsmom.  I have actually been surprised with my husband on the matter though...more and more he's been telling "no" when it comes to her being too rough.

2. bernard.sinai profile image81
      bernard.sinaiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you there. Although they might not be aware of the action it does not mean they are not capable of it.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Such action is probably not bullying but as you have seen it can be a precursor to what may be viewed as bullying. Virtually every dad has roughhoused with his child at one time or another. The child just needs to be taught that is something special we do at home and they are not to do it with anybody else, child or adult.

Very good answer!  I thought about this too!  Thank you for commenting, Larry.

4. AustralianNappies profile image78
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

My 2 year old knows when someone is being naughty.  She can say there was a naughty boy at school (Childcare). So I guess they do know when someone is not treating others how they would normally expect.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Some children that age have the tendency to become a bully. Some have just not been taught the proper boundaries and others are seeking attention. Regardless, teachers and parents need to be aware and to talk to these children to find the cause.

2. TesstheScribbler profile image59

I think it depends on the kid.  Not all 2-yr-olds know the same things.  I think the big difference is that your kid was in childcare (and constantly around other kids) and mine isn't in childcare (less playmates).

working