jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

At what age should a child visit a dentist for check up or general dental care?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 4 years ago

At what age should a child visit a dentist for check up or general dental care?

One year, when they have the first teeth? What is your opinions about this?

2. Abby Campbell profile image94
    Abby Campbellposted 4 years ago

I started taking my kids at age 4 so that they could get use to and comfortable with the dentist. If there are any orthodontic issues, some of those require treatment as early as age 8. The reason is that children's jaws are more pliable at this age. You have to do what is comfortable for you and your child.

3. Specialk3749 profile image60
    Specialk3749posted 4 years ago

From experience, I have found that if you wait till the child is mature enough to handle a new experience, then it makes it easier and they want to go.  Otherwise, if you take them when they are not ready, you can cause them to be afraid to go.  With my kids, it was usually around the age of 4 or 5...each child is different. 

By all means, if the child is having problems with their teeth, take them in!  Just make sure that while you wait on the maturity level, you are teaching them how to take care of their teeth, brushing & flossing, etc.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Its a good idea to begin young so that they get used to it, and it is no big deal to them. Be aware though that a lot of dentists do not treat small children.

I think my kids were 3.