jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should child abusers undergo mandatory sterilization?

1. emilyzeinert profile image59
    emilyzeinertposted 3 years ago

Should child abusers undergo mandatory sterilization?

If a woman or man is convicted as a child abuser, should they have to undergo mandatory hysterectomy or vasectomy to prevent further abuse? Should there be a limit as to how many counts of child abuse they can be charged with before having to undergo the procedure? Whose rights are more valuable - those of the perpetrator or those of the victim and potential victims?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

A hysterectomy or vasectomy would only effect one's ability to conceive children. It would not change their ability to molest or abuse a child. In fact even if one was castrated they could still abuse a child with their fingers or objects.
    Lastly it's important to remember that not everyone who is accused of doing something is guilty. There have been (some) documented cases where children have lied to authorities or the future ex spouse in a bitter divorce/custody battle has made accusations.
    Even now it seems every year we are releasing people from prison who have been proven to be innocent of crimes with the use of DNA. Some of these folks were actually sitting on death row.
    I can't imagine how big a lawsuit would be if a woman was forced to have a hysterectomy and it was later learned that she was innocent.

3. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 3 years ago

Forced sterilization is a slippery slope and I'd personally be more than okay with no one ever going there again.

And as dashingscorpio said, that would in no way discourage an abuser. Even a full castration wouldn't help in some cases as sexual abuse isn't always driven by sexual pleasure.

I'm for rehabilitation and supervision, not snipping away at people's body parts.

4. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 3 years ago

Do you honestly think that would prevent the person from being the pervert he/she is? NO. Once a molester, always a molester.

working