jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is it ok to let your kids talk to strangers when you are there?

1. chuckandus6 profile image75
    chuckandus6posted 3 years ago

Is it ok to let your kids talk to strangers when you are there?

Can we teach them socialization and when it is ok?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12335227_f260.jpg

2. marsona profile image60
    marsonaposted 3 years ago

For me, it's fine. At least you can see how your kid interacts with others and that if there are problems with her interactions ,say her response to the stranger is impolite, then you are there to correct your kid ,and impose some discipline on her (later when it would only be the two of you together) as early as possible.

1. chuckandus6 profile image75
      chuckandus6posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I try to let kids socialize when we are out but my aunt has said that they should not talk to strangers I don't see any danger if I am there, I am glad you agree,that is it ok. Thank you for answering.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

You have to teach them how to act and interact when you aren't there, so start when you are there and let them talk to people as long as it isn't dangerous, overly personal, etc.

For example, the time my three year old tried to walk up to a workman and ask what he was doing in our yard and was caught as he fell into the hole they were digging comes to mind. At that time, it was not a good idea to talk to strangers.

Teaching them to NEVER talk to strangers becomes bad when your kid won't talk to a new daycare teacher, a new friend's parent who tries to meet them, won't tell the lunch lady they are allergic to X because you can't talk to strangers, etc.

working