jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

At what age moms should expect their baby to stop breastfeeding?

1. InsightPost profile image55
    InsightPostposted 13 months ago

At what age moms should expect their baby to stop breastfeeding?

There are a lot of mums who are worried about the fact that their baby who is getting older everyday but still not stopped breastfeed. What is the ideal age of baby to stop breastfeed and go for other healthier foods etc?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13358024_f260.jpg

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months ago

If left to wean themselves, probably some time between six months and a year.  If the mother keeps offering the breast to the baby whether it wants it or not, it will probably keep on forever.  After a year, it's more like continuing to need a pacifier than needing a food source.

InsightPostposted 13 months agoin reply to this

So it is safe to say that breastfeed if goes beyond the age of one year, would not have any side effects on child's health?

2. KsenijaZ profile image95
      KsenijaZposted 13 months agoin reply to this

What side effects would it have?

3. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 13 months ago

Completely depends on the kid.  I have a friend who has three children, one of them self-weaned at 10 months, one she decided to wean at 2 years when the kid was showing no signs of wanting to stop, and her third is currently still feeding at 10 months.

My own daughter nursed until she was 3.  It was definitely a comfort thing but I was okay with that - breastmilk continues to have nutritional and health benefits superior to cow's milk for as long as you choose to give it. 

The natural weaning age, if you don't push a child to wean in any way, is usually between 2.5 and 7 years.   Some will obviously wean earlier and certainly most people aren't going to be comfortable breastfeeding a 7 year old, so it's probably a bit earlier than that in reality, especially since there's a weird stigma about extended breastfeeding.

So I think the "ideal" age is whatever works for the child and the mother.  I know my daughter would have nursed beyond 3 if I let her but I was so done with it, and she was only nursing once or twice a day so I knew it wouldn't be a huge shock for her to stop.  It was an easy transition so I'd say it was ideal for us.

4. KsenijaZ profile image95
    KsenijaZposted 13 months ago

As long as the child and the mother are comfortable with it there is no need to stop.

InsightPostposted 13 months agoin reply to this

hmmm interesting

5. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 13 months ago

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends nursing for at least one year. However a mother and child should quit when either of the two are ready. Left to their own children will wean on their own before school starts usually. For the record, under a year old, there are no other "healthier foods".

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
      Kathleen Cochranposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  Anything that replaces breastmilk in the first year is giving the baby food that is less nourishing.

working