jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why does my one year old not sleep through the night?

1. Lacey Gambrell profile image61
    Lacey Gambrellposted 9 months ago

Why does my one year old not sleep through the night?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 9 months ago

Begin by asking yourself a few questions:

Is his/her diet healthy or are afternoons evenings filled with junk food that actually leaves him/her hungry or sugary/caffeine/spicy foods, or worse yet, contain artificial sweeteners, that excite and work against restful sleep?

Is he/she guided into a quiet, peaceful dinner and evening routine so that bedtimes begins restfully? Is the home peaceful throughout the night or rowdy with TV, music, or noisy people?

Is the child seeking more time with parents because he/she is not getting enough focused time with them or is evening time spent with the child divided by device usage, television, or other hindrances to focusing on communicating with the child verbally, physically, and emotionally?

Is there an underlying health issue that needs to be assessed by a pediatrician?

3. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 9 months ago

My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was like 3. Everyone has different sleep needs and cycles, and that includes babies/kids. For example, I wake at every little sound and movement and I always have. My husband, on the other hand, could sleep through a tornado. I take forever to fall asleep, usually get up once a night to go pee, or have a drink of water, etc. My husband falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow and sleeps right through until his alarm. It's normal for kids to vary in those ways as well.

For us night weaning helped a bit, she woke less frequently, but she still woke up. It seems to be in her nature. She's very curious and aware, I think that plays a part, she's 5 now and still hates going to bed because she always wants to be awake and doing things.

But we tried absolutely everything to get her to sleep all night and the only thing that worked was time.

1. RTalloni profile image88
      RTalloniposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Giving it time is a wise advice!