jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Are neighborhoods safe in your area for halloween?

1. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 4 months ago

Are neighborhoods safe in your area for halloween?

Something made me think of an incident. My wonderful mother/wife was going around last year. My son and a neighbor's son were dressed the same - I think Iron man. Well the moms got all messed up and took the hand of the other's child. Two doors down they figured it out. Too funny. My son has good friends on our street and we know most neighbors by sight and name.
    We even put up barricade stuff that you can drive around but slow you down.
    Is my neighborhood freaky? I am going to see all of my boy's classmates tonight. I can hardly wait.

2. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 4 months ago

In the internet news this morn was a story , probably fake , about a bag of crack in a bag of Halloween candy . .....      WE have entered an era where no one is perfectly safe from harm at any time Eric  , A few years ago a high school  girlfriend of mine was struck and killed on Halloween night crossing the street with her four young kids .  She was the only one hit .    One beautiful woman's life snuffed out and four kids lives ruined .

I don't want to be the "downer " here but  constant vigilance is all we have . From accidents or  acts of crime , ................:-}

Ericdierkerposted 4 months agoin reply to this

That is why we barricade the street. And I have a bunch of glow sticks to hand out - super fun but the purpose is serious.As I read about this this morning I realized quickly that our "hood" is not normal.

3. shanmarie profile image77
    shanmarieposted 4 months ago

Well,  my neighborhood is  not one I would like to go out in. However, we usually take the kids to another neighborhood that is actually in town. The one we usually go to is always packed full of families and it is hard to find parking near the neighborhood entrances. I have never noticed anything that made me feel like children whobarecwe out and about without parents are unsafe there. I suppose,  though,  that with any crowd, people should take the proper precautions. Personally, we never let our kids go on to the next house without us.

This year, we won't be doing anything. It is supposed to rain some and my husband has to work.

4. Dean Traylor profile image94
    Dean Traylorposted 4 months ago

Evidently not for an opossum that was hit by a car last night.

Ericdierkerposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Bummer dude. We screamed at an testosterone filled idiot in his truck last night for going to fast and he slowed down and yelled out his window that he was sorry. Wow did we have a blast last night. Except for too much candy all was well. All good.

5. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 4 months ago

Let me report in from Halloween central. My wife brought home obscenely expensive candy from the base Naval Exchange. Wow was it good wrapped up as eyeballs. She and my boy were gone for an hour and a half, meeting up with my son's school friends and parents.My neighbors all came by and no one liked my Harpo Marks outfit. But the kids like my Lan Chaney scary sounds.
    No one minded me hugging their children. Our whole neighborhood had a blast. I figure about 20% of kids came here from elsewhere.We just had fun.
    I hope that many of you did also. One home this morning already had Halloween stuff packed up and had a pumpkin patch laid out for thanksgiving. A bunch of Flags went out for Veteran's day. I saluted and thanked my neighbor for his service but really thanked his wife Mary for supporting him.
    If I believe what i hear America is going to hell in a handbasket but if I walk out my door someone compliments my rose garden and calls to me by name.
    Amy just went by walking her three dogs at 15, I get to pet them and scratch them most days. Maybe I just live in Mayberry. Or maybe America is just a great place to live here 5 miles from our friendly Mexican border.