- Family and Parenting
How to Spend Time with your Kids after school
Looking back and forward there are several things that can be done together.
Its amazing how hind site is 20/20. We have three kids and I am still learning about them and how they work. Face it I am still trying to figure out my wife. But that is another story. Boy is that another story.
Anyways directed more to ways to spend time with the kids. They are only with you for a short time. And you never realize it until the first one says she is looking to move out. Slap in the face. When did she grow up?
Dad she can drive. Dad you first son is taller than you. Dad your youngest wants to have some cuddle time.
As a former stay at home dad there are many things I was there for. As the working dad there are many things I have missed.
All Images on this page taken by me.
A few things to do at home
- Play some games. This includes board games, card games and video games. I know that there are more out there but those are the three we tend to play the most.
- Read some books. This includes you reading to them and them reading to you.
- Help them with their homework. This sort of falls under the read some books but not completely. In my opinion reading the books is more for the enjoyment. Homework is something that's a must do. Its also interesting how sometimes what they have for homework takes a little time to remember how to do.
- Tuck them into bed. For me this is not always available. With the schedule I was on by the time I got home the kids would be in bed. But on the nights I was there it was something I would look forward to.
- Pray together. Building off of the Tuck them into bed one thing we would also do is pray before turning off the light. This is not the only time that you can pray as a family but it is a nice one on one time with each of your kids.
Some of the games we play available on Amazon
This is one that My youngest has and often plays with. For that matter Lego's seam to be one of his and his older brothers favorites.
We have the traditional version but the picture just called out to me. And as a side note another title for this game is Snakes and Ladders.
Things to do outside the home - Places to walk to
- To and from school. For me this is more of a walk them to school. I have a friend that tends to pick their kids up after school. Either way my kids and I tend to walk. Just the other day it was cloudy and we were joking about how on the way home I would be walking in the rain. I took two steps out the door and felt a raindrop on my nose.
- Go to the park or a playground. Where we are there is a local duck pond that is fun to go and feed the ducks. We also have a few playgrounds that are near by. Some by car some just by walking.
- Go for ice cream or a chocolate shop. Its interesting growing up there were two ice cream shops within walking distance. And now there are three within walking distance of where we are with out kids. This was not planned and is in two different towns.
- How about a stroll along a body of water such as a lake or creek. Or if you are in NY there is the Erie Canal.
- Visit your local library. As listed above reading is a great thing to do together and picking them out together is also a fun thing to do.
- Walk around stores doing pre-birthday and holiday wish lists.
Watch a movie before bedtime as he falls asleep and then carry him up the stairs. At this age that is not as easy as one might think.
- When the weather is nicer we tend to also walk to church. In fact that is something that we will be doing today.
- Here is a new one and on this day it is not that common. In the past I would vote and bring the I Voted sticker home to my kids. Today I will take out youngest with me so that he starts to understand what voting is all about.
One of the things I mentioned above is visiting parks. Well here is some proof that we have actually done so.
- A Local Adventure: The Parks in Our Town
Yes I have kids of different ages. And all of them have gone to the different parks in our town. The older the get the less they go. Or so they wold have you think. Its amazing how if you word things just right all the kids will want to go with you..
At home or walking
Which are you more likely to do?