- Family and Parenting
Royal Baby Girl Names List
Choosing A Royal Baby Name for Your for Your Little Princess
Everyone is so excited about Kate and William's new royal baby news and on 4th May 2015 we heard that the little Princess will be called Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.
Royal names, traditional names and old-fashioned names are all back in fashion so to help any parents-to-be find a right royal name for their baby girl, here is a list of some of the best-known names of Queens and Princesses throughout history.
Add your baby name choice for the new Princess to the comment box at the end of this article
New Royal Baby Girl Name -Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
It's a girl! Kate,Middleton, The Duchess of Cambridge, has given birth to a baby girl on 2 May 2015. Now girls and boys have equal rights to the throne, the little Princess will be will be fourth in line. Royal baby name? Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
What was the betting on the royal baby name?
Kate and William's second baby is a girl - what was the betting on her name? I trawled through a few top sites on the internet and they had these ideas:
Hello magazine thought that Alice was the first choice ad Alice runs in the royal family. Prince Philip's mother was Alice of Batternberg
For the last royal baby Charlotte was top choice of the public and Charlotte it was. Other royal Charlottes were Queen Charlotte married to George III, (on the throne 1760 - 1820. Kate's younger sister, Pippa has Charlotte as a second name.
Then Diana spang to mind - but controversial? Not a bit of it! They were brave I think. Hello magazine sites Elizabeth, Victoria and Mary, all right royal names, to be popular with their readers. Alexandra is one of the Queen's names (but isn't Alexander one of the baby's brother's names?).
The betting, according to PaddyPower, is for Alice, Charlotte and thirdly, Elizabeth. BabyCentre suggests Charlotte, Alice and Grace, in that order.
My choice? I like all of these but if I'd had a baby girl I think I'd have chosen Charlotte. What do you think?
Best royal baby girl name
Which of the top rated royal baby girl names would you choose?
How many royal baby names are there for girls?
A lot! This list isn't exhaustive, nor does it attempt to cover names worldwide - it's a list of names drawn mainly from the royal families of Europe - names familiar to most people in the western world. I've made idiosyncratic choices, though when I felt like it and so you'll find the odd Indian baby name and names from the middle east and how could I not include that famous Queen of Egypt, Cleopatra?
Most of the names are sensible, but some monarchs are just too much fun and so much larger than life that I couldn't bring myself to miss them out.
More name articles by the same author
- Royal Baby Boy Names
Another royal baby on the way for William and Kate, another royal baby boy name? Prince George Alexander Louis Will have a little brother or sister - choosing a name for the new royal baby time!
- Royal Baby Names
A new Royal baby arriving in the UK and Prince William and Kate Middleton will be choosing an old-fashioned, traditional, royal baby name right now. Any bets? What are the odds on royal babies names?
- Old Baby Names Old Fashioned Baby Names are Back
The old baby names are back in fashion. Royal babies have trdaditional names, the stars choose old-fashioned names for baby, and vintage and retro name are cool. How to choose a name for a baby?
- The Name Barbara
What does the name Barbara mean? Who are famous Barbara's? When is Barbara Saints Day? Who is Saint Barbara? Where is Santa Barbara? Find out more about name meanings barbara, name gifts for Barbara.
- Barbara Palvin, Barbara Mori and Other Famous People Named Barbara
Barbara is an old-fahioned name more common in America that the UK. There have been many famous people called Barbara. Saint Barbara, Queen Barbara, Barbra Streisand, Barbara Palvin, Barbara Mori ...
Baby Names From the Royals
This alphabetical list of Royal Baby Names is more complete than mine, but if you're inspired by this article, why not take a look and see how much there is to know about the names the royals have chosen for their babies?
Royal Names for girls Beginning With A
- Anne - Queen Anne (1665-1714), The Princess Royal (1950-), Princess Anne, Princess of Orange (1709-1759)
- Alice - Princess Alice of Albany, Countess of Athlone (1883-1981), Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine (1843-1878)
- Alexandra - Princess Alexandra, The Hon Lady Ogilvy (1936-), Princess Alexandra of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1878-1942), Grand Duchess Alexandra of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1882-1963)
- Alia - Alia Baha Ad-Din Touqan (1948 - 1977), Queen consort of Jordan and the third wife of King Hussein of Jordan. The international airport in Amman is named Alia after her.
- Adelaide - Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Duchess of Teck (1833-1897)
- Augusta - Duchess Augusta of Brunswick (1737-1813), Princess Augusta Sophia (1768-1840), Grand Duchess Augusta of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1822-1916), Princess Augusta Sophia (1768-1840)
- Amelia - Princess Amelia (1783-1810),
Souvenirs to Mark the Birth of a Royal Prince - Remember this historic moment
Oh well, it wasn't a girl and so it'll be Kings of England for a long time but who isn't pleased to welcome another little one into the world? Celebrate by bidding for a souvenir as a keepsake to hand onto your children .... and your children's children.
- Beatrice, Beatrix: Princess Beatrice of York (1988-), Princess Beatrice of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duchess of Galliera (1884-1966)
- Barbara - Queen Barbara of Portugal, Queen Barbara of Hungary and Queen Barbara of Poland
- Boudicca - Boudica, Boadicea and in Welsh as Buddug (d. AD 60 or 61) was queen of the British Iceni tribe, a Celtic tribe. she famously fought against the soldiers of the Roman Empire. While few parents would call their little girl Boadicea, I've included her because she was a real warrior Queen.
Cleopatra must be one of the best known Queens
Royal Names Beginning With C - Cleopatra was one of the greatest Queens in History
- Charlotte - Princess Charlotte of Clarence (1819), Queen Charlotte of Wrttemberg (1766-1828)
- Caroline - Princess Caroline Matilda of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Albany (1912-1983), Princess Caroline of Gloucester (1774-1775), Queen Caroline Matilda of Denmark and Norway (1751-1775), Princess Caroline (1713-1757)
- Catherine: There have been many European Queens and Princesses called Catherine, so I'm just going to list the two wives of Henry VIII, King of England, by that name here for now: Catherine Howard (1525-1542) the fifth wife and Catherine Parr (1512-1548) was the sixth wife. (This name is also spelled Katherine - see below)
- Cleopatra - Cleopatra VII Philopator (Late 69 BC - 30 BC) consort to the Roman rulers Julius Caesar and Mark Anthony, was the last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt. Far from the British royal family but so famous in History, literature, poetry and film that I just had to add her. Also, I've come across a few little Cleo's recently.
- Claude, Claudia, Claudette - Claude of France (1499 - 1524) queen consort of France
- Christina - Christina (Swedish: Kristina Augusta (1626 - 1689), later called herself Christina Alexandra, Queen regnant of Sweden from 1633 to 1654
Royal Names Beginning With D - Princess Diana springs to mind first
- Diana - Diana, Princess of Wales; born Diana Frances Spencer (1961 - 1997). Diana was married to Prince Charles of England the Prince of Wales, and is mother to the Princes William and Harry. She was tragically killed in a car 'accident' 31 August 1997.
- Dorothea - Queen Sophia Dorothea in Prussia (1687-1757)
Was Princess Diana murdered?
Royal Names Beginning With E - The present Queen of Britain is Queen Elizabeth Alexandra Mary
- Elizabeth - Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth Alexandra Mary II (1926-), Princess Elizabeth (1741-1759), Landgravine Elizabeth of Hesse-Homburg (1770-1840), Princess Elizabeth of Clarence (1820-1821)
- Eleanor - Eleanor of Aragon (1402 - 1445) Queen consort of Portugal married to Edward I of Portugal, Eleanor of Castile (1241 - 1290) First queen consort of Edward I of England, Eleanor of Provence (c 1223 - 1291) Queen consort of England , married to King Henry III of England, Eleanor of Aragon (Leonor) (1426 - 1479) queen regant of Navarre in 1479, Eleanor of Austria (1498 - 1558) tfrom the House of Habsburg - Became Queen consort of Portugal in 1518, Eleanor of Aquitaine (1122 or 1124 - 1204) Queen consort of France (1137-1152) and England (1154-1189).
- Edith - Edith of Wessex (c.1025 - 1075) became queen and wife of King Edward the Confessor of England on 23 January 1045
- Emma - Princess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym (1802 - 1858) A German princess and daughter of Prince Victor II (Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym) and Amelia of Nassau-Weilburg
- Eugenie - Princess Eugenie of York (1990-)
- Ethelburga -Ethelburh of Kent (b. 605) Early Anglo-Saxon queen and the second wife of King Edwin of Northumbria.
Royal Names Beginning With F, G & H - Queen Frederika with daughter Princess Sophia
- Frederica - Princess Frederica of Hanover and Cumberland (1917-1981)
Princess Frederica of Hanover and Cumberland, Baroness von Pawel-Rammingen (1848-1926)
Royal Names Beginning With I, J, K & L - Louise in its various forms was a very common royal name
- Katherine - Queen, Katherine of Aragon, Katherine Howard
- Louise, Louisa - Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Lady Louise Windsor (2003-), Princess Louise, Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931), Princess Louisa (1749-1768), Queen Louise of Denmark and Norway (1724-1751)
Royal Names Beginning With M - "Let them eat cake" said Queen Marie-Antoinette
- Margaret - Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002), Princess Margaret of Connaught, Crown Princess of Sweden (1882-1920)
- Maud - Princess Maud of Fife, Countess of Southesk (1893-1945), Queen Maud of Norway (1869-1938)
- Marie - Queen Marie of Romania (1875-1938), Princess Marie of Hanover and Cumberland (1849-1904),
- Mary - Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (1776-1857), Mary, Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel (1723-1772), Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897-1965)
- Marie-Antoinette - Who could forget her? Marie Antoinette (Antonia Josepha (or Josephina) Johanna) (1755 – 1793) Queen of France from 1774 to 1792. She married Louis XVI of France and famously lost her head on the guillotine.
Royal Names Beginning With N, O & P
- Olga - Princess Olga of Hanover and Cumberland (1884-1958)
- Patricia - Princess of Connaught, Lady Patricia Ramsay (1886-1974)
Royal Names Beginning With Q, R & S - Queen Sophia of Greece Wife of Constantine I
- Sophia - Queen Dorothea in Prussia (1687-1757), Princess Sophia (1777-1848), Princess Sophia of Gloucester (1773-1844)
- Sibylla - Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Albany, Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Vsterbotten (1908-1972)
Babies Names for Girls - Three books to help you choose your baby girls name
Royal Names Beginning With T, U & V
- Victoria, Viktoria - Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Princess Victoria (1868-1935), Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburgo and Gotha, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine, Grand Duchess Viktoria Feodorovna of Russia (1876-1936), German Empress Victoria, Queen of Prussia (1840-1901)
A Portrait of Queen Victoria - Original antique print
Taken from a copy of the Illustrated London News dated 1899. Size 10" x 14.5" or 260 x 370mm
Royal Names Beginning With X, Y & Z - I can only think of Zara Phillips for this category. We need a Queen Xanthe - no?
- Zara - Christened Zara Anne Elizabeth (1981 - ) daughter of the Princess Royal, Anne and Captain Mark Phillips.
Good Advice for Choosing the Name of Your Baby - A rose by any other name ....
- A rose by any other name ...
Would it smell as sweet?
Will you choose a royal baby name for your baby girl?
Would you choose a name from the royal family?
© 2013 Barbara Walton