- Family and Parenting
Ruth Vining McGhee
Meet My Grandmother - Ruth Vining McGhee
I'm gathering my information about my grandmother, Ruth McGhee here. Perhaps it will prove useful to cousins or other Vining or McGhee relatives.
In sorting through my Mom's collection of old photos and memorabilia, I've found some bits of family history. I'll share those with you here. Please note the rectangular locket that my grandmother is wearing in this picture. The background story on it is included below.
(photo of Ruth Vining from our family album)
Ruth Vining - The Early Years
Ruth Vining was the youngest daughter of Nancy Jane (Babcock) and Henry Vining. The earliest photo the family has of her is in Woodward, Oklahoma. The family bought the land from someone who secured it in one of the Oklahoma land rushes.
Henry and Nancy Jane Vining's Children
This information is from the Vining Family book by Barnes.
- Julia Vining - Born 30 December 1874, died 31 October 1898.
- Sarah Vining - Born 17 November 1876
- Jacob Vining - Born 30 May 1878, died November 1914.
- Lucy Vining - Born 5 October 1881. She spent time in a nursing home in Winfield KS.
- William Vining - Born 22 March 1880, died November 1880.
- Francis Henry Vining - Born 24 March 1883, married (Alice) Lenora Hawkins. Both died 28 March 1934 in a train crash. They had ten children: Paul, Oscar, Alfred, Silvia, Ralph, Howard, Ray, Melvin, Lester, Flossie.
- Belle Vining - Born 16 September 1884.
- May Vining - Born 11 March 1886. She married a man named Butcher (first name unknown).
- Bessie Vining - Born 5 October 1887. Married twice, the second marriage was to Edward M. Bolte in 1906. They had seven children: Floyd, Hazel, Roy, Viola, Ruth, Lewis (called Bus), Wanda.
- Luther Vining - Born 5 November 1889, married Josephine ___. They had five children: Donald, Ardale, Evelyn, Milford, Lucille.
- Scelia Vning - Born 1 September 1892, died 14 June 1914.
- Albert Vining - Born 28 January 1894. He married Flossie Hawkins who died, then Melvina "Vina" Tower. His nephew (son of Luther) lived with Albert and Vina after age 13. His name was Donald C. Vining.
- Ruth Vining - Born 10 January 1897. Married Clarence McGhee on 14 July 1917 in Tyro KS. They had three daughters: Melba, Gail, Carol. Ruth died on 25 July 1960 of a heart attack.
Ruth Vining in 1911
Ruth Vining - School Days
I found my grandmother's grade card in a box of papers that I inherited from my mother. At first, I was puzzled by one subject called orthology. My sister looked it up and it's the "art of correct grammar and correct use of words." It also includes spelling and handwriting according to some teacher friends of mine.
From the date on this, it seems the school year ended April 26, 1912. That's only 150 days of school instead of the 186 we now have. I wondered if in Kansas farming communities, kids needed to help with planting in that era.
Other subjects were reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, grammar, Kansas history, and drawing.
1912 Tyro School Class
Ruth Vining - The Teen Years
The photo shows Ruth Vining (center) with sister, Lilian, on the right and a neighbor, Bertha McGhee on the left. The families took picnics to Hayrick Mound, in nearby in Oklahoma.
Ruth Vining - Photo Gallery
Are You Preserving Your Family's History?
Vote in the poll
Ruth Vining Marries Clarence McGhee
Just a few months before Clarence McGhee was mobilized for World War I, he and Ruth Vining married. He and his brother had been attending the same church as the Vining family. The McGhee house was just down the street from the smaller Vining home in the small town of Tyro.
This is their wedding photo (from the collection of Gail Lee Martin)
Read more about Clarence McGhee's WWI experience.
Ruth McGhee's Locket
My grandmother, Ruth Vining McGhee, had this locket while her husband was in France during World War I. The photo inside is my grandfather, Clarence McGhee.
The family had not seen the locket and pictures for many years, but they were recently given to my sister by Edna McGhee. Photos taken by my sister and used with permission. (click on any photo to see it larger)
My Grandmother's Locket - The Story Behind This Vintage NecklaceClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2013 Virginia Allain