Healthy Kohlrabi Slaw
Organic Kohlrabi Slaw
Super yummy kohlrabi slaw
My family is a member of a local CSA farm for the second season this year and we love it! We have the freshest vegetables brought to our door for about 20 weeks during the growing season, and I love making the new recipes that I receive from the farm. The farm sends out recipes related to the produce for the week. Kohlrabi is something I would probably never buy off the store since I have never heard of it before and it is absolutely delicious. It is similar to cabbage in taste when put in a slaw and smells like a potato when it's being shredded. It's texture is also like that of a potato. I must say becoming a member of a CSA has broadened my food horizon greatly. This slaw recipe is one I received from the farm today in an email. I had two kohlrabi heads and wanted to use them up before I got my next batch of produce in a couple of days. I have also been craving a cole slaw lately, and this will satisfy that craving nicely. This slaw is very tasty, and quite easy to make.
- 2 heads kohlrabi, peeled and shredded
- 2 small - medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 Tbsp onion, shredded
- 1/3 Cup white vinegar
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds, I used celery salt and less table salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper, freshly ground if possible
Making the slaw
- Peel and shred the 2 heads of kohlrabi in a small to medium bowl.
- Peel and shred the 2 carrots, combine in bowl with kohlrabi.
- Peel and shred the onion, combine with the kohlrabi and carrots. I used green onions in my slaw.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and blend well.
- Pour the liquid over the shredded veggies and coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to let the flavors combine.
- After allowing the veggies to combine for 2 hours, drain off excess liquid and enjoy!