Best BBQ Sauce Recipe For Marinating and Grilling
The Best BBQ Sauce Recipe
You don't live in the southern USA and not become very familiar with several of the best BBQ sauce recipes ever created. I'm going to share one of those barbeque sauce recipes with you and just in time for your next cookout.
I was raised in the south and then lived several years in Memphis, TN where they have the great Memphis In May BBQ contest every year. Every one of the contestants feature their prize winning barbecue sauce recipes.
When I lived in Memphis, I took for granted that you could buy a particular brand of barbeque marinade called Wickers BBQ marinade and basting sauce. I had no idea that you could only buy this brand in that part of the country. I now live in the Pacific NW and no one has ever heard of Wickers BBQ marinade here.
When I decided to write this article I wanted to find a recipe that is very similar to the barbecue marinade that I used in my BBQ sauce recipe and I think I have found one! Read on as I share this recipe with you and the things that I added to it to make it even more special.
Image courtesy of sporkist
Image courtesy of snowpea&bokchoi
This BBQ Sauce Recipe is actually in two parts. The first part is what you will use as a marinade for whatever you are barbecuing at your next cookout.
I found the Wicker's BBQ Sauce recipe for the marinade here if you would like to go and see it.
This recipe is very spicy so keep that in mind. If you don't like a spicy hot taste to your BBQ recipe, maybe just try the first part of the recipe as a marinade and then leave the marinade out of the second part of the recipe.
If you enjoy your BBQ sauce spicy, make it even spicier if you want!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- FOR SECOND PART OF THE RECIPE -
- Worcestershire Sauce
- A-1 Sauce
- Heinz BBQ Sauce
- Hunts BBQ Sauce
- Combine all ingredients and cook for 5-10 minutes to dissolve the spices.
- Cook on medium low temperature as you do not want to burn or scorch the ingredients.
- Place all your meat that you want to barbecue in a deep glass bowl and pour the mixture over all the meat until coated. Cover the meat with plastic wrap and marinade overnight.
- The marinade recipe above makes about 1 1/2 cups total.
- ***Next is the Second Part to the recipe.***
- I like to use some of the marinade to mix with my favorite BBQ sauces to make a really spicy and tasty sauce.
- Using the above recipe, you can cut the amounts down and make a smaller fresh batch to mix for this second part of the recipe.
- I wouldn't use the marinade that has been on the meat overnight for the second part.
- Each time I would make the recipe a bit different and there wasn't an exact measurement to it. Just make it to suite your taste.
- Take about a 1/2 cup of marinade and mix with any or all of the following:
- Worcestershire Sauce
- A-1 Sauce
- Heinz BBQ Sauce
- Hunts BBQ Sauce
- I would take a dollop of one and add two dollops of another two or three sauces depending on what I had available in the fridge at the time.
- Stir all together and taste. If it tastes good, you are ready to slather the mixture on the meat you are cooking while it is on the BBQ grill.
- Cook the meat slowly so that it will not char while cooking.
- ***Keep In Mind*** - Some of the sauces and the marinade have sugar in them so that will give the overall recipe a tendency to blacken while cooking if not cooked slowly.
- I have used this two-part recipe while cooking pork or beef roast in a huge crock pot. Turn the crock pot on low and pour on the mixture over the meat and maybe add a bit of water in the bottom of the crock pot as well.
- I can still remember the smell when coming home after the meat had been slow cooking all day and the meat was falling apart it was so tender. Yummy!
- Experiment and enjoy!
Wickers BBQ Squce - Original Flavor Wickers Marinade and BBQ Sauce
This is the Wickers Marinade and BBQ sauce that I used to buy when I lived in the south! It is now available for sale on Amazon. According to the information there, Wickers has been making their BBQ marinades for over 50 years! There are other flavors you can experiment with as well.
Recipes With Wickers Marinade and BBQ Sauce - BBQ Sauce and Marinade Recipes and Tips
If you would like to visit the official site of Wickers, I've posted some recipe links below and you can explore the site as well.
- The official site of Wickers BBQ
This link takes you to the official Wickers BBQ site.
- Wickers BBQ Marinade Cooking Tips
Tips and suggestions for using your Wickers BBQ Marinade sauce.
- Wickers BBQ Recipes for Pork
Several pork recipes listed that you can use with your Wickers BBQ Marinade sauce.
- Wickers BBQ Marinade Recipes for Beef
Several mouth watering recipes for beef to use your Wickers BBQ Marinade sauce with.
- Wickers BBQ Marinade Recipes for Poultry
Some yummy recipes for chicken and turkey that you can use your Wickers BBQ Marinade sauce with.
- Wickers BBQ Marinade Recipes for Casseroles
Several recipes for casseroles that I hadn't even thought of using Wickers BBQ Marinade sauce in.
- Wickers BBQ Marinade Recipes for Appetizers
This list includes a recipe for Little Smokies which reminds me of when I used to make a similar recipe in my crock pot using Wickers BBQ Marinade sauce!
A Portable Propane Grill For Your Next Cookout - For The Family On The Go
This grill would be the perfect gift for the family that likes to set up a grill for picnics, camping, family gatherings in the park, company gatherings, or where ever there is the need for a mobile grill.
It is a full size grill that has two burners with individual controls on it and cooks for over 4 hours on low. It folds up very neat and tidy to stow away and hit the road again.
Make everyone happy with this portable full size grill that can be used in the backyard and then stored away or take it on the road. For the person that loves to BBQ.
More BBQ Sauce Recipes! - Find One For Your Next Party
If this Best BBQ Sauce Recipe doesn't quite do it for you, take a look at the others listed below.
Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce Recipe - Another Spicy BBQ Recipe
This recipe sounds like another spicy contender in my BBQ Sauce Recipe collection.
Made to be on the thin and less sweet side, it should make for some great glazing and layers of yummy goodness.
From the Serious Eats web site, check out the Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce Recipe and see if it doesn't have you salivating to give it a try!
What's Your Opinion?
Image courtesy of GilchristLaura
Do you like your BBQ Sauce Spicy Or Mild?
More Recipe Articles By Me!
Spicy Rotel Cheese Dip Recipe
Making up a batch of Rotel Cheese Dip is always the highlight of any party or gathering that we attend. It's great at holiday parties, bbq parties, birthday ...
Vegetable Green Smoothie Recipes
Have you been thinking about adding more vegetables to your diet and even considered trying vegetable green smoothie recipes but weren't sure if you would li...
Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
Although I haven't made one in years, I came across my recipe for Mississippi Mud Pie Cake and just had to share it with everyone before the writing fades an...
Spectacular Pink Champagne Cake Recipes
Have you ever wondered how to make a Pink Champagne Cake? We are going to explore some yummy recipes that you can maybe even make in time for Val...
Easy Peasy No Bake Cookies Recipes
My son's favorite cookie and dessert recipe hands down is the no bake cookies that I made while he was growing up. When he was in the military and overseas,...
Thanksgiving Southern Style
The smell of turkey roasting in the oven, vegetables simmering and sweet potatoes swimming in butter and brown sugar; nothing can beat a Thanksgiving southern...
I would love to hear your thoughts about this recipe or Barbecue in general!