- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Really Good Egg Free and Vegan Moist Carrot Cake Recipe
If you have a son who is allergic to a ton of foods, as I do, it can be quite a challenge to cook something edible (or maybe that is just because I am a dreadful cook!?). One of his allergies is egg so cakes tend to be quite tricky to make successfully. This one however is extremely easy and with a tweak to the margarine it can also be totally vegan as well. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 225g plain flour, (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g margarine (or vegan equivalent)
- 100g honey
- 225g carrots, grated
- FOR THE ICING:-
- 300g cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar, (powdered sugar)
- 1 orange, (grated zest and juice)
- Turn the oven on to 170C / 325F / Gas mark 3
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Melt sugar, margarine (or vegan equivalent) and honey in a saucepan, then add to the dry ingredients mixed in step 2.
- Add the carrots to this mixture and stir in well, so that they are all coated.
- Put the whole lot into a loaf tin and leave in the overn for at least 45 minutes. If a skewer comes out clean you can take it out, otherwise put back in for another 10 minutes and check again. I often find I have to leave it in for almost 1 hour and a quarter before it is done. It seems to vary depending on the juiciness of the carrots.
- Once cooled, mix together cream cheese and icing sugar. Add a teaspoon of grated zest of 1 orange and 0.5 teaspoon of its juice, then spread on the cake. The zesty orange really lifts the taste of this cake, hope you enjoy it.