- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
10 Yummy Yogurt Ideas
Below are 10 quick and easy ways to use yogurt. The ingredient amounts will depend on your taste. If you prefer bananas to strawberries, add more bananas,etc. I don't like to measure but I based all recipes on one person serving in my infamous 16 oz glass, which I take everywhere and my blender and hand blender, one of my favorite kitchen investments.
1. Yogurt Parfait - French word for "perfect" but in this context means layered dessert. Best served in a clear glass so you can make sweet designs using strawberries, blueberries, bananas or tangerines, topped with cereal, nuts or crunched graham crackers.
2. Yogurt Smoothie - In a blender mix 4 large strawberries, handful of blueberries, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 cups of plain yogurt and 1 cup soy or organic milk. You can use flavored soy. Add about 1 cup of ice and blend. If it's too thick, add water or soy milk.
Factoid: Soy milk is known for its tendencies to help combat Breast Cancer, and is widely used among our Asian neighbors, so drink up!
3. Yogurt Stuffed Tomatoes - In a bowl, mix 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 cup of plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, season salt/pepper, diced ham or chicken, scoop out tops of tomatoes, fill in with yogurt mix and top off with cheese or chives. Serve on lettuce or alone.
4. Yogurt in Soup - Works best in vegetable soup, place about 2 tablespoons on the top.
5. Yogurt on Baked Potato - One of my favorite ways to use yogurt is on a potato because it is so much healthier and less fatty than sour cream. Add butter if you must but I stay away. Top it off with 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, add chives, cheese or bacon bits.
Factoid: 2 tablespoons of sour cream contain 60 calories. 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt contain only 14.
6. Yogurt and Sweet Mashed Potato Side - If you love sweet potato, boil one and stick it in a bowl, hand blend with 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, salt and pepper to season, dab of olive oil, top with basil leaves.
7. Yogurt and Macaroni Salad - If you use mayo for your salad, try it once with plain yogurt. It holds together just like mayo and won't fill you as much or put any more weight around your tummy. One small bowl of macaroni, 1 cups plain yogurt, green olives, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, romano or parmesian cheese sprinkled on top, olive oil and you're done.
Tip: Add grilled chicken!
8. Yogurt Dressing - My own recipe using 2 cups of plain yogurt in a mason jar, 1/3 cup of olive oil, about 1/3 cup of parmesian or romano cheese, a quick spritz of vinegar, black pepper and salt to taste, spritz of lemon juice, water added to adjust the thickness, mix with hand blender.
9. Yogurt Omelet Topping - I love eggs and am always experimenting with omelets. 2 tablespoons of Yogurt on top of scrambled eggs or an omelet.
Tip: Add chunks of ham to omelet or my favorite, spinach, and top off with yogurt and tomato slices.
10. Yogurt Gravy - When cooking a steak or chicken, add a little water to make that Au Jus and add yogurt to thicken it up. You can also add it to already existing gravies.
Do you have what it takes to be a writer? Join the HUB today and become a Hubber too. It's free and easy to join. Click below and start earning!