Low-Calorie Blueberry Muffin Recipe
The Muffin that Packs a Punch & Hits the Spot!
When I need a snack, I try to make sure it is something that will have certain qualities. First, it needs to fill me up because I don't want to end up snacking all day. Second, I don't want it to contain too many calories or be to high in fat because I want to stay within a healthy calorie range for the day. And, last, I want it to hold one of the special ingredients that contain a special health punch.
Blueberries are one of these special ingredients because they contain antioxidants, help combat heart disease and cancer, and are full of vitamin C. As well, berries are a great source of fiber.
I like to keep these blueberry muffins around for a quick snack when I'm in a hurry. This version is about 130 calories, but varies (more or less) depending on the sweetener you use (I choose honey because it is another of my health punch foods), the kind of egg product (real eggs v. substitute), using skim instead of whole milk, etc.
Tip: Make a lot of these muffins at once & freeze them for later snacks!
The Lovely Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Fluid Ounce Lemon or Lime Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon or Lime Rind
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1-1/2 Cup Blueberries (frozen or fresh)
Putting the Ingredients Together to Make the Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Melt together the honey and butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, soda, powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.
- Beat the remaining ingredients (except the berries) together. Pour the beaten mixture into the well. Stir gently until it is just-blended, gradually adding the berries.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing.
- Eat and enjoy!
This recipe makes 12 servings, one muffin per serving.
The Nutritional Information
Total Fat: 4.6 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 27.5 mg
Sodium: 192.4 mg
Potassium: 25.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 22.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g
Sugars: 2.1 g
Protein: 3.0 g