24 hr. Fruit Salad...Side Dish or Dessert...You Decide!
This recipe is 24 hour Fruit Salad that makes a great dessert or side dish for your main meal. I only make this during the Holiday's because I like to keep it special. Christmas is usually the Holiday I choose because I pull out the most wonderful of my recipes for that day.
My Mother-In-Law gave me this recipe in the early 70's. So it's very old and to me it's a Classic. I had never had anything like it before and it's become a favorite for our Holiday meals.
You have to let this salad set for a total of 24 hours once it's mixed together or you will not get the flavors melded together if you serve it earlier. It will be bland and bitter if you try it before it has set it's entire 24 hrs. But what a taste treat once it has fully blended together.
The picture does not do it justice. This year I added Walnuts to my fruit salad and in the picture it was just made so it had not set 24 hrs. The Marshmallows will melt some and the whole things just blends together.
Good Luck and Enjoy!
Prep Time: Approx. an hour
- "Pink Grapes - 1 lb. only use Pink Grapes- cut in 1/2 and seeds removed"
- "Pineapple Chunks - 1 - 16 oz. Can - Drained"
- "Marshmallows - regular size - a bag of 30 Cut In 14's, scissors work nice for cutting"
- "Egg Yolk - 1- Beaten Until Light Yellow"
- "Dry Yellow Mustard - 1 tsp."
- "Juice Of 1 Fresh Lemon"
- "Dream Whip - 1 Box (2 Envelopes Whipped As Directed)"
- Mix together beaten egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard in a small pan over low heat until the mixture thickens to a pudding consistency, let cool.
- In a large Holiday or pretty bowl combine cooled egg yolk mixture and the beaten whipped cream until blended well. Add quartered marshmallows, halved grapes and pineapple, stir to combine all.
- Optional is to add chopped pecans or walnuts at this time.
- Cover bowl with wrap and let it all set for 24 hours (at least) in refrigerator before serving. It's worth the wait believe me.
- Once the flavor come together this 24 hour Fruit Salad can be served to accompany a main course or as a dessert.
- Good Luck and Happy Holidays!
I usually use a clear bowl for this salad as it let's you see all the Fruit Colors in the Salad.
Any beautiful Christmas decorated bowl gives your 24 hour Fruit Salad a touch of Holiday flair.
Beautiful and festive serving bowls set your table with style and celebration.