- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Favorite 3 Recipes to Enjoy Pumpkin this October!
80 Calorie Pumpkin Spice Latte
Fall is here and with the colorful leaves, brisk air, and carved pumpkins; October is in full swing. This brings out the desire for warmth and comfort. Sometimes that means food and during the fall pumpkin is my favorite flavor. Yet, you don’t need to subject yourself to unnecessary calories. It is here you can find 5 awesome and healthy ways to enjoy pumpkin this October!
First up we have a healthy and homemade version of Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. This is the better option because most of the time the costly versions you find at Starbuck’s have sugary chemical syrups that do not contain true pumpkin. The other plus of this version is that with the proper substitutions vegans can enjoy this as well! Please note that with this recipe there may be some settling of the pumpkin at the bottom of the mug at times, but honestly this is minor and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. Now let’s get into a step by step!
1. Brew up a cup of that fabulous coffee! I suggest medium roast at least.
Now you got to make some Pumpkin Milk
---------1 Cup of Milk (Or whichever substitute you decide on)
---------¼ Cup of Pumpkin Puree!!! I always add more because I am a pumpkin nut.
---------2 TSP Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
---------1 TSP cinnamon
---------1 TSP Vanilla Extract
---------1 TSP Sugar in the Raw (Or whichever sweetener you prefer)
---------Option: Add a pinch of nutmeg, or other spices should you choose.
2. Mix the ingredients; I prefer to do this in a blender it is just simple. Or you can do it by hand in a small bowl with a whisk.
3. If I have time sometimes I warm the pumpkin milk mixture in the microwave for a bit, but you don’t have to if you are in a pinch for time since the coffee will be hot anyway. Now pour 1 Cup of the Coffee into a mug and pour half the pumpkin milk mixture into the mug as well. Save the other half of the mixture for refills! Yum! Add some low fat whipped cream on top with a dash of cinnamon to treat yourselves further!
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
You need: 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt , 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk (or vanilla soy milk), few shakes of pumpkin pie spice, 4-5 ice cubes.
1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender blend, blend, and blend!
2. Pour into your favorite container and enjoy the bliss of drinking this tasty drink!
3. Good for post workout!
70 Calorie Carrot-Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Icing
Now for a little pastry love. These bars are amazing! Plus only 70 Calories per bar!!
2 C whole wheat pastry flour
2 TSP pumpkin pie spice
2 TSP baking powder
1 TSP baking soda
1 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1/3 C Earth Balance (or other butter substitute)
2 large egg whites
1 can of pumpkin pie filling
2/3 C finely shredded carrot
4 oz light cream cheese, softened
1/4 C sugar
1 TBS skim milk
1.Pre-heat 350° F. Spray a 15 x 10 pan with cooking spray.
2.Grab a bowl and mix flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder, and baking soda.
3.In larger bowl, use electric mixer to beat your sugar, Earth Balance, and brown sugar. It should appear to be a crumbled. Add your eggs, egg whites, pumpkin filling, and shredded carrots. Beat until well blended.
4.Now add the flour mix and combine until it is well blended. Spread onto a greased pan.
5.For the icing: mix together cream cheese, sugar, and the milk until well blended.
6.Drop teaspoons of topping over pumpkin batter at a time and swirl and cut mixture into batter. The best way to do this is with a butter knife.
7.Bake for 20 to 30 minutes depending on your oven. Do a toothpick check. If it comes out clean it is done.
8.Cool completely and then cut.