3 Ways for how to Make Garlic Ice Cream at Home
Garlic desserts are definitely an unusual option for the home chef. Sometimes unusual is exactly what the day calls for, though. When that's the case, homemade garlic ice cream is definitely a top choice. It's got a very unique flavor, is fun to make and only requires a few basic ingredients that you may already have in your home. We'll take a look at three different recipes for homemade garlic ice cream ... dare to try them all and pick your favorite!
Homemade Garlic Ice Cream Recipe #1: Traditional recipe
If there is such a thing as traditional garlic ice cream then this recipe is the one that will help you make it. It uses some basic ingredients and a standard process for making ice cream. It does require that you have an ice cream maker. You'll end up with four pints of traditional garlic ice cream if you follow this recipe.
- Pour four cups milk into a saucepan.
- Add 2 cloves minced garlic and 2 vanilla beans (seeds included but separated from the pods). Bring to a boil.
- In separate bowl, mix together 2 cups heavy cream, 3 cups sugar and 16 egg yolks. (Do not include the egg whites.)
- Slowly add the first mixture into the second mixture, whisking it together as you pour.
- Heat entire mixture on low for ten minutes.
- Pour into an ice cream bowl. Chill over ice. Pour into ice cream maker and prepare as usual.
Homemade Garlic Ice Cream Recipe #2: Roasted Garlic Alternative
One really popular alternative to the traditional garlic ice cream recipe is the option of a roasted garlic ice cream. This makes a more garlicky taste and gives you something very flavorful for dessert. This recipe also requires an ice cream maker.
- Remove the outer skin off of eight whole heads of garlic.
- Drizzle with light olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and roast in oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil, cut the tips off of the heads of garlic and drain the pureed garlic from each garlic head into a blender.
- In a saucepan, combine one liter half and half with 1/2 cup sugar and heat to boiling.
- In a separate bowl, combine four egg yolks (not the whites). Pour the mixture from the saucepan into this bowl over the yolks.
- Add the mixture slowly into the blender. Puree until entirely smooth.
- Cool and then prepare in your ice cream maker as usual.
Homemade Garlic Ice Cream Recipe #3: Super Sweet Alternative
If you find that the taste of pure garlic ice cream just isn't sweet enough for you then this recipe is a good alternative. This recipe makes four pints of ice cream and also requires an ice cream maker.
- Heat four cups milk, 2 cups cream and six cloves of minced garlic in a saucepan until starting to boil.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine one dozen egg yolks, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon flavored honey (such as orange honey or lavender honey). Whisk together.
- Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and reheat to boiling.
- Strain through cheesecloth into metal bowl. Place bowl over ice and chill.
- Make the ice cream in an ice cream maker as usual.
- Top with maple syrup and serve.
Other Unusual Ice Cream
- Candied Bacon Ice Cream Recipe - David Lebovitz
How to make candied bacon ice cream: salty-sweet & tasty. An unusual ice cream recipe from David Lebovitz author of The Perfect Scoop.
- Lorre White, The Guru of Luxury: Most expensive Ice Cream - Caviar Flavored
Upscale French artisan ice-cream maker Philippe Faur has taken out the ice cream of the universe of the desserts and he indefatigably works In his workshop to create new flavours always more surprising. After such original products as the Truffle...
- Not Eating Out in New York Curry Carrot Ice Cream
A unique treat!
- Fish-and-Chip-Flavored Ice Cream | Serious Eats
A great UK treat.