4th of July Recipes: Easy Snacks for Kids
Fourth of July Recipes for Kids
The Fourth of July is an important American holiday and also a fun time for kids. Fireworks definitely create a lot of excitement, but so will these three fun and easy snack ideas. Your children will also like to help out with these kid-friendly recipes. Fourth of July Cheese Quesadilla Stars shine for a very patriotic lunch; Stars and Stripes Fruit Flag makes a healthy dessert; and Pretzel Fireworks are perfect for a red, white, and blue snack.
Fourth of July Cheese Quesadilla Stars
Photos: Fourth of July Cheese Quesadilla StarsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Do You Like This Patriotic Recipe?
- tortillas, taco or burrito size
- shredded cheese, cheddar or Mexican mix
- sour cream
- taco sauce, mild or medium
Another Way to Decorate Stars
More Fourth of July Recipes for Kids
- Heat small amount of butter in skillet or griddle on medium-low heat.
- Place tortilla in skillet and cover with shredded cheese.
- Cover with another tortilla and cook until cheese melts and bottom is crispy.
- Flip quesadilla over with a spatula and cook until bottom is crispy.
- While quesadilla cooks, fill one small ziploc bag with sour cream and a second bag with taco sauce. Clip a very small hole in one bottom corner of each bag so they can be used like pastry bags.
- Remove quesadilla from skillet and let cool for 1 minute.
- Using a large star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out stars from the quesadilla.
- Decorate quesadilla stars by piping sour cream stripes first, and then taco sauce stripes in between the sour cream stripes.
- Alternative decoration: Using a star-shaped stencil, make a sour cream or taco sauce star in the center of each quesadilla star.
- Another alternative decoration: Spread taco sauce thinly over entire quesadilla star and top with small dollop of sour cream in center. Also may spread sour cream over quesadilla star and top with small dollop of taco sauce.
- Healthy Tips: Use whole wheat tortillas and low fat sour cream.
Stars and Stripes Fruit Flag PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Fourth of July Desserts: Stars and Stripes Fruit Flag
Easy and healthy, kids will enjoy assembling this delicious fruit flag from blueberries, strawberries and angel food cake. Add a dip of yogurt to bring it all together.
- On a dinner plate, arrange fresh blueberries in the shape of a small rectangle.
- Add red stripes of sliced strawberries or whole raspberries.
- Add white stripes of cubed angel food cake to complete the flag.
- If your child is old enough for toothpicks, let him stack a blueberry, then strawberry, then cake for a patriotic kabob.
- Serve with vanilla, strawberry or blueberry yogurt for dipping.
Pretzel FireworksClick thumbnail to view full-size
Red, White, and Blue Snacks: Pretzel Fireworks
Make mini fireworks using pretzel rods or dipping sticks, white chocolate, and sprinkles. These treats can be arranged in a small clear glass as shown to the right.
- Following box instructions, melt the white chocolate.
- Dip only the quarter top portion of the pretzel stick in the white chocolate and then top with sprinkles - red, white and blue jimmies; gold and silver sugar gems; or colored star sprinkles.
- Let chocolate set on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper for at least 30 minutes or speed up the process by placing in the refrigerator.