A Creme Sandwich Cookie Cake Recipe | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
This Ice Cream and Cookie Recipe is another one from “The Cupboard Drawer”, it comes from my Aunt Kathleen in Erie Illinois, which is to say small town (My Granddads Farm was on the edge of town when I was a boy and it still is) farm country in North Central Illinois. It does require some effort and attention to detail but that is how the Love gets in there. The increase in variety of Crème cookies and Ice Cream has kept this 65 year old recipe fresh and the variations are infinite and limited only by your imagination. Do Enjoy…
24 Crème-Sandwich Cookies, Crushed
¼ Lb Butter, melted
1 Can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Can (10 oz) Chocolate Syrup (note: I’m not sure if Hershey’s still sells it in cans, you can be flexible in the amount though from 8-16 oz)
½ Gal Vanilla Ice Cream (Lot of room for variation here)
1 Tub of Cool Whip Topping
Chocolate Chips and or Chopped Walnuts (Topping you decide how much)
- In a mixing bowl combine the cookies and melted butter, Pat into an 11 X 8 X 3 in Pan and put in freeze3r for 30 mins
- Soften the Ice Cream (Do not let it melt) You can do this by putting in the fridge from the freezer for an hour or two before use. Spread evenly over the Cookie Mix and Freeze again for 30 mins
- In a double boiler, combine the sweetened condensed milk, and the Syrup; bring to a boil then simmer until thick stirring constantly.
- When the syrup is thick enough to suit you (I like mine about the consistency of slow molasses) allow to cool, Then pour over the Ice cream and Freeze again for 45 mins
- Spread the Whipped Topping over all and garnish with the chopped nuts and Chocolate Chips (Sprinkles are fun for kids too); Freeze again for at least 30 mins, but overnight is better.
Yield : 12-15 servings (It is very rich so you can keep them small)