A Guide To Make Pav Bhaji, A Mumbai Street Food:
Though Pav Bhaji is a popular street food in Mumbai, it is also a sought after snack throughout India. I believe, it is a popular street food even in the USA, may be on busy streets like Newyork street. It is a healthy and tasty street food option that anyone will love to eat. The rich flavor of butter enhances the taste. Try it once and relish the mouth-watering taste!
- 2 Pav bun loaf, each loaf contains 6 Pav buns
- 2 potato, cut in pieces
- 1/4 cup peas, either fresh, frozen or dried(soak in water for 6 hours before cooking)
- 1/4 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup french beans, chopped
- 1/6 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp Pav bhaji masala powder, store brought(available in Indian stores)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 50 gm butter, unsalted
- 2 tbsp coriander/cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oil
Step by step Images and Cooking Instructions of Making Pav Bhaji
- Take potato pieces, soaked peas, carrot, and french beans in a cooker container. Add 1/2 glass water and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook till it is done. It takes about 10 minutes cooking in a pressure cooker. Remove the container, mash the contents.
- Heat 2 tsp butter and 1 tsp oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in the chopped onion. Saute till the onion becomes brownish. Now add capsicum. Fry for 2 minutes. Add tomato. Continue cooking till tomato becomes mashed. If you are using fresh/frozen peas, add it now.
- Add Pav bhaji masala, salt, and red chili powder. Boil for one minute. Pour in the mashed vegetable. Mix well . Boil for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Add a teaspoon of butter on top. Put off the fire. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Bhaji is ready to serve. Next step is, making pav ready. Take Pav bun, slit each bun horizontally and open it till the edge. Don't cut it fully. Press it into a hot pan with butter. Let both the sides be brownish. Both sides should be coated with a generous quantity of butter.
- Place the prepared Pav on a serving plate. Take bhaji in a serving bowl. Top bhaji with a spoon of butter. Serve together with chopped onion and a piece of lemon.
- Eating method: Squeeze a few drops of lemon on the bhaji. Throw some chopped onion on it. Mix once. Eat Pav with the Bhaji as a side dish.
- The combination of Pav and Bhaji is fantastic. Enjoy eating!!
Bhaji means curry. Pav Bhaji is a popular party snack. The whole combination makes it healthy and super delicious. Try this snack during weekends.
|Serving size: 1 plate with 1/2 Pav|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Carbohydrates 47 g||16%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 26 mg||9%|
|Sodium 1172 mg||49%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|