How To Make Pav Bhaji
A Popular Street Food Called Pav Bhaji
Pav Bhaji is a popular Mumbai street food. It is also a sought-after snack in the other parts of India. You can even see Pav bhaji in the food stalls of New York. It is a healthy and tasty snack that everyone loves to eat. The rich flavor of butter is the secret of this mouth-watering dish. Try it once!
- 2 Pav bun loaf, each loaf contains 6 Pav buns
- 2 potato, cut in pieces
- 1/4 cup peas, either fresh, frozen or dried(soak in water for 6 hours before cooking)
- 1/4 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup french beans, chopped
- 1/6 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Pav bhaji masala powder, store brought(available in Indian stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 50 gm butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons coriander/cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Take potato pieces, soaked peas, carrot, and french beans in a cooker container. Add 1/2 glass of water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until it is done. It takes about 10 minutes if you cook it in a pressure cooker. Turn off the heat. Once the pressure releases naturally, remove the container and mash the content.
- Heat 2 teaspoons butter and a teaspoon oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in the chopped onions. Saute until the onion becomes brownish. Add capsicum. Fry for 2 minutes. Add tomato. Continue cooking until the tomato becomes completely mashed. If you are using fresh/frozen peas, add it now.
- Add Pav bhaji masala, salt, and red chili powder. Boil the mixture for a minute. Add mashed vegetables. Mix well. Boil the mixture for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Add a teaspoon of butter on the top. Put off the fire. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Now, Bhaji is ready to serve! The next step is to make the pav buns ready. Take pav buns, slit each of the buns horizontally, and open them till the edge. Don't cut them fully. Add some butter to a hot pan. Place Pav on the pan and press them to the pan, so that they become a bit roasted. Let both sides become brownish. Coat a generous quantity of butter on both sides. Turn off the heat.
- Place hot and crispy Pav on a serving plate. Take bhaji in a serving bowl. Top bhaji with a spoon of butter. Serve them together with chopped onion and a piece of lemon.
How to Eat Pav Bhaji?
- Squeeze half a teaspoon of lemon juice on the bhaji. Top it with some chopped onions. Mix once. Eat Pav with the Bhaji as a side dish.
- The combination of buttered-Pav and Bhaji is mouth-watering. Enjoy eating!!
Why The Name Pav Bhaji?
Bhaji means curry, pav means bun in the Marathi language. Pav Bhaji is a combination of curry and bun. It is a popular party snack too. This snack is healthy and super delicious. Try it during weekends.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 47 g||16%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 64 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|