- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
A Guide to Make Instant Semolina or Rava Vada
Semolina Vadas or Rava Fritters
Cold evenings call for hot, spicy, and crunchy deep-fried snacks. Rava vadas are perfect choice for evening snacks during winter. You need only a few basic ingredients to make this yummy dish.
An Overview of Making Semolina Vadas:
Semolina(fine sooji), chopped green chilies, chopped onion, grated ginger, yogurt/curd, cumin seeds, chopped coriander leaves, chopped curry leaves, a pinch of cooking soda, and salt are the ingredients used to make these vadas.
Starting with, take semolina in a mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients one by one. Add yogurt as per need to get a thick batter. Rest the batter for 20 minutes. During this time, semolina absorbs water and the batter becomes thick. Add some water and adjust the consistency. The batter should be thick and pliable to make proper vadas.
Heat oil in a pan for deep-frying. Take a lemon size batter in wet fingers. Make a flat, round shape and a big whole in the center. Gently drop it into the hot oil. Make many such fritters in a batch. Don't over crowd them. Fry on medium high fire till they get golden brown color. Remove, and place them on a tissue paper. Repeat the same for the entire batter.
Mouth-watering semolina vadas are ready to serve. Eat them with coconut chutney. Enjoy!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 16 vadas
Ingredients for Making Rava Vada
- 1 medium size bowl fine semolina, wheat sooji
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 pinches cooking soda
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped curry leaves
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt/thick curd
- 1/2 tsp salt as per taste
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Instant Semolina Vada or Rava Vada
- Take semolina in a mixing bowl. Add chopped onion, grated ginger, chopped green chilies, cumin seeds, chopped coriander leaves, chopped curry leaves, yogurt, and salt. Mix well. Add some more yogurt if needed. The batter should be thick in consistency. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- During resting, semolina absorbs water and becomes thicker. Add some water to adjust the consistency. For making vadas, it should be neither thin nor too thick.
- Add cooking soda. Mix once.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for deep-frying. Take a lemon size batter in wet fingers. Make a flat, round shape with a big hole in the center. Drop it into the hot oil. Make 6-7 such fritters in a batch.
- Fry them turning at intervals, to get golden brown vadas. Remove them on a tissue paper.
- Repeat the same for the remaining batter. Yummy and crunchy semolina vadas are ready!
- Serve them hot with coconut chutney. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Semolina Vada or Rava Vada
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 140 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|