- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
A Mushroom Soup For The Ages
Creamy, Quick and Delicious
The Quest for Quick and Easy Dinners
I am forever on the hunt for tasty, quick and - most importantly - easy to make recipes for family dinners. If it's something that my increasingly picky toddlers will also eat without fuss, it's practically a dream come true.
I hit upon one such recipe in the form of a super scrumptious, thick and creamy Cream of Mushroom Soup. Even my son, an avowed mushroom-hater, eats it up and asks for seconds!
Don't let the list of ingredients deter you. This soup cooks quickly, makes a lot (especially when doubled), and leftovers can be used in other recipes or reheated and eaten as is.
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Cubes Vegetable Bullion
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2-4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Package Mushrooms, Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 4 TBSP Butter, divided, 3 TBSP for the soup, 1TBSP for sauteeing
- 1 1/2 TBSP Corn Starch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper, Rosemary, Thyme, Amounts can vary to taste
The best thing about the seasonings is that their amounts is a personal preference. If you have a love affair with thyme and want more, add some! If you can't abide rosemary and don't want it anywhere near your soup, don't add any!
Even the heavy cream can be substituted for sour cream/milk. And if you don't have corn starch? Regular flour can be substituted - just remember, when substituting flour for corn starch, double the required amount. So where you would use 1 1/2 TBSP of corn starch, use 3 TBSP of flour.
- Sauté mushrooms, onions, garlic and celery in 1 TBSP of butter and with whatever combination of thyme and spices are preferred.
- In a large sauce pan, prepare broth in 4 Cups of water according to bullion instructions
- Puree sauteed vegetables in a small amount of broth; set aside
- In a medium sauce pan, melt remaining 3 TBSP of butter. Whisk in corn starch until smooth. Add salt, pepper, and more thyme, rosemary and sage to taste.
- Combine milk and sour cream; stir and add to butter and spices in the medium sauce pan. Add vegetable pureé.
- Add the contents of the medium sauce pan to the large; stir constantly. Bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve.
Simultaneous Steps to Save Time
Save time by doing several of the steps simultaneously: Start the broth while you're chopping and sautéing the veggies; combine the milk and sour cream while the vegetables are in the blender. It will be simmering to thicken in no time!