- Food and Cooking
Recipe For How To Make Your Own Organic Mayo/Mayonnaise Traditional or With A Twist
Be Smart and Save
When one thinks at all about Mayo, that staple for most fast foods as well as home made snacks, a dressing for salads, as well as an additive to a lot of other foods that you prepare.
If one has to look at what goes into the commercially bottled versions that you see in the Supermarkets shelf and if one then compares it to this simple homemade version, with all those fresh ingredients, without any of those preservatives.
Would you not think it better to do it at home? Using the finest Organic raw material?
Not only that, compare the costs versus quality, organic homemade is the smarter choice.
A quick Mayo to dress those salads
The Garlic & Mustard Mayonnaise
This is a great one for the general purposes. This forms the base for some very interesting variations
75ml of lemon juice
5ml of crushed mustard seed
2ml of chopped garlic
1 free-range egg
5ml of non-iodated sea salt
250ml of Organic Virgin Olive Oil
As always It is How we put it all Together
- Place all the ingredients except the oil into the blender, switch the blender on at medium speed and blend the ingredients very well, once they have blended together, while the blender is still running, slowly add all of the oil - a bit at a time, blending it well as you are adding the oil,.
- Once you have added all of the oil and the mixture seems smooth, switch off the blender, remove the lid and inspect the mayonnaise.
The texture of the mayonnaise, should be thick and creamy, and have a healthy shine to it. The taste and texture in your mouth should also be smooth and tangy, with just that the hint of garlic.
Should the mixture not be correct blend it together for a few minutes more, and then retest.
When ready, transfer the mixture to a clean jar or container, seal and label it with the date on it, as this mayonnaise should keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
And now for something different
- Additive 1.Add 1-2 fresh chili to the ingredients in place of the mustard, this will give it a nice bite.
- Additive 2.Add 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce and a pinch of black pepper to the ingredients. this is ideal for sea foods
- Additive 3. Add 20ml of Feta or Blue cheese - this version then needs to be used on the same or next day, use in pasta, or with baked potato. or as a dip for chips
- Additive 4. Add a quarter to a half of an Avocado Pear - great addition to the Sunday Brunch table, or also for that late night snack.